Wav file timing issues

JImM

Gear owned
DP-32SD
Hi

Has anyone had problems with wav files exported to Audio Depot, then imported into a DAW, having timing problems?

I exported the separate tracks of a song and loaded them into Reaper. By the end of the 4 min song the kick track and snare track were audibly out of sync...I figure by about 90 msec.

I tried it in Audacity to make sure and same thing.

I just imported 15 tracks into Reaper, all exported from the DP-32. No issues whatsoever.

Reactions: Mark Richards
What mj said. No issues for me, either. That it happens with both DAW programs indicates you should look to the computer hardware for the solution.

I don't recall any threads in the year and half that I've been on this forum that have raised an issue like yours. Perhaps doing a search of the forum for threads with "sync" in the title might turn up some old threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I had a bit of a search. I think maybe the DAW can encode the WAV with an offset and odd timing. Someone on the Steinberg site mentioned the tempo setting can cause this sort of effect but I couldn't fix mine this way. Only happened on one file so far.

Given that the files line up on the DP32, but not in the DAW(s), I think that the export-to-Audio-Depot function somehow messes up the timing. Not every file, not all the time, but at least in this case. Given the number of quirks the unit has it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

For me to believe the DP Portastudios cause timing issues when doing an audio depot import will require me to see the files for myself. It’s possible, but the only timing issues I have seen reported are with Cubase Nuendo, and apparently, it’s a known Nuendo bug.

Most likely, people are pulling files from their MUSIC/SongName directory instead of taking the time to do a correct Audio Depot export.

In my case, I have used Audacity with Audio Depot exports and inputs. The only issues I have had are file conversion issues (When I mean file conversion errors, I mean that my Tascam DP-32SD can not recognize 24-bit wav files until I put them in a format the Tascam can recognize), never timing issues.

Edit: Nuendo, not Cubase

Last edited:
Given that the files line up on the DP32, but not in the DAW(s), I think that the export-to-Audio-Depot function somehow messes up the timing. Not every file, not all the time, but at least in this case. Given the number of quirks the unit has it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
Idle speculation without facts is only useful on conspiracy websites. :D

The fact is those of us who do this back and forth stuff regularly and know how to use the hardware and software properly very rarely, if ever, experience any unusual issues.

the only timing issues I have seen reported are with Cubase, and apparently, it’s a known Cubase bug.
Never heard of such a bug with Cubase, which I've been using since the Atari days. The only timing issues in Cubase I've heard of have to do with latency - more specifically with MIDI data (and that was at least 10 years ago). If you have a link to this 'known bug', I'd like to see it.

If one does not set a project BPM first, before importing the tracks, it's a crapshoot. The Export function on the DP machines is not the cause, since it is a simple file write of the audio information.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.