What to look for when purchasing a used DM 4800?

MarkGl

Gear owned
interested in DM4800
Hey folks, I have been offered a used Tascam DM 4800, seller says that everything is working.
It has a IF-AN/DM card also.
Any tips on what to check for when I go to inspect the item next week?
I will (Hopefully) be using it with an iMac on High Sierra and Logic.
I am searching the forum as you read this, trying to get in as much info as possible before I view the desk.
Any pointers would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance, glad to have found this forum!

Reactions: mixerizer
You might want to take a look at the service manual, it can be downloaded from the site in the documentation and manuals link at the top for the DM32o0 / 4800 forum containing this thread. Lots of info on the diagnostic process headroom mentioned already. Good luck!

Well folks, thanks for your replies. Diagnostic test was useful. I had 7 days to test the mixer.
All good except for a battery that needs replacing. i took the plunge and am very happy.
What a wonderful machine. Steep learning curve but worth it!

Awesome! Enjoy the board :)

just a small addition, Like I said, battery needs replacing.
Has anyone done this? Any advice, I am a bit nervous about opening the machine up.
Not a lot of info out there, but I though I would repeat what I have found, for anyone in a similar situation.
Will leave a note when I have replaced the battery to let you know how it went.

I found this link..
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/611114-replacement-battery-dm-3200-a.html

with this advice..
I know this is an old thread but because it can be easily found via google I'll put this here:
Battery for the DM-3200 is regular CR2032 3v. There should be a clip for the battery in the right hand upper corner of the motherboard. Easy to replace, no soldering needed.
Opening the mixer:
- Unscrew the "wood" sides (8 screws in total, 4 per side)
- remove the upper grille strip, it should come off easily, it is held in place by its own tension.
- remove the metal strip above faders, this one should come off easily too, no screws here either.
- remove 4 screws from upper part of the main panel (where grille used to be)
- remove 4 screws from lower part (where the metal strip used to be)
- the main panel should now be free and it can opened. The panel is hinged from the lower side, it should open up simply by pulling from the upper edge. All the cables should have enough slack so that the panel can sit upright.
The battery clip is located in a bit tricky place, look under mic pre section, to the back right corner and you should see it there. If you want you can also remove the mic pre section but that a bit more work. At least I was able to change the battery without removing the mic pre section.
assemble in reverse order, have fun
fC3CRrx4JDTAY81YBllSbkJBtS4YVh2gnyghgsqUyZg5fFNwGJ8ZZybhDQZcCl6cLRlB7CPbxiPQ3F34kzbHjs7jDWfMEytnHN7ZoXnj=s0-d-e1-ft

Reactions: Peter Batah
Also had a couple of sticky buttons, ie not turning on, but the issue seems to have gone now.
Anyone else had issues with the buttons?
What did you do to fix it?

My advice when changing the battery: there are a few flatbandcables. Open the the sockets they'in (no tool required) and push the cables a bit. I had the problem that such a cable, that connects to the fader- and almost all the rest of knobs, was out, but visually it looked ok. It took me a few hours and a few openings of the device to find this failure.

Most button issues can be dealt w by gently pressing the button from a few angles - if u open the mixer up to put in a new battery u can examine the buttons better. I haven’t used deox spray on it but I imagine it could be useful - but since the buttons are translucent it is important to keep the deox where it goes. When u open it up for the battery swap (which is a complicated disassembly but can be done easily if u are cautious and slow in the process), u can see about deox on the buttons.

Reactions: MarkGl
FWIW: I've done battery replacements on gear that were never meant to be user-servicable OR have their 2032 batteries replaced (they were the solder-onto-board types - I removed them and placed a battery holder, and put a new battery in that).
Point being: it can be done. It's not for amateurs/hacks; and you'll wanna be VERY careful; and do as much prep/knowledge-acquisition as possible.
But it can be done.

I have an ex-8000 I need to fit w a socketed battery holder :) I hear ya!

Thanks everyone, the battery holder is a good idea. I am capable with electronics, I build my own stuff, but feeling very, very cautious with this rare board.

@MarkGl I’ve done about 1/2-dozen of these now, including on some pretty old gear. Every one came out perfectly.
Bring it over to my place w some chocolate milk & Chips Ahoy. I’ll have you put together toot-sweet!:cool:

where you based bro?
Rural Colorado. Bring your AR-15 & body armor, & you’ll fit right in.
And don’t even imply that you believe that climate change is real or that the pandemic wasn’t a hoax, or you’ll get a bullet in the forehead before you can get out of your car.

International Covid Conference III..
Just followed my gut from the start bro.
If you ever find your self in Somerset UK, I will bake you some cookies, No need for armour though. ;)

Reactions: shredd
My employer lives in Oxford. She LOVES it there.
She never seemed too threatened by C19…seems like everyone there was pretty serious about it, BJohnson notwithstanding.

Where I live, even implying you embrace any measure of political moderation or social tolerance will get you killed.

generally move in the opposite direction to the crowd.

Where I live, even implying you embrace any measure of political moderation or social tolerance will get you killed.

now that’s cancel culture! E pluribus unum

New threads

Members online

No members online now.