When just recording to the stereo track, how do I listen back without exporting?

Lordradish

Gear owned
model 12
Last night, just doing some rough sketch recording that didn't warrant multitrack... just wanted to listen to the stereo mix track, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without swapping that to another track.Is that what Export Stereo Mix is for? I thought that had something to do with mono tracks.
Is there some way to just listen to it easily after I record without swapping, exporting, or menu diving?

@Lordradish
The infamous SD MAIN MIX RETURN switch is your friend. It's located on the right side of the desk, between the Bluetooth pairing LED/switch and the Phones 2 knob. Remember to switch it off (Tascam put an LED for a reason) when finished listening or it will likely make you scratch your head wondering why there is no sound from the miXer/MTR.

May I ask what the point of this is? Oh! Wait... is it if you switch songs or whatever and all your channel faders and stuff are in different places and you want to go back and listen to a previous track? This is good to know... Thank you for posting this question. I would have had NO idea what that button was for or how this feature worked without your question and Max's answer :)

It's main purpose is to provide a quick access to what has just been recorded in the Main Mix with a single click, without touching anything on the desk. Listen, evaluate, maybe decide to punch in/out or go ahead. Or re-record from the start. :)

This track is constantly recorded, right? Or is it only recorded when you have no other "Record" lights lit up?

In other words, I've used this in terms of choosing to export the mix, but I don't understand how it records/updates/exists. Do you have to push record and let the whole content play to the end and then hit stop? Thank you for help understanding this. Again, the manual says almost nothing about this function or really anything involving tracks 11/12...

@Ugly Bunny
MAIN MIX = always recorded on tracks 11/12 when you press the Record button, independently of other tracks are being recorded or not. Page 40 of the OM: Chapther 5 - Basic recording.
After recording, tracks 11/12 can be swapped to any other track or exported as a stereo wav file into the MUSIC folder on SD.

edit: you will find enteresting facts about the Model series in the sticky notes at the top of this forum.

Last edited:
This may be a silly question, there's no way to override the stereo output track and use it for something else, is there? It'd be nice to be able to at least record the music/talk input on a track. I really wish they'd do an update so you can really do 12 tracks. If I'm multitracking, I don't need that stereo track.

New threads

Members online