Where To Buy a Dm4800 display?

Need to order from Tascam Directly.

OR

Go straight to the 2SeeMy card option as the LCD's die after 1-3 years. It is unavoidable and can get very expensive to replace. I have 2 DM3200's and have already replaced each of them once. I bought my 2nd DM3200 from the Forum's own Tascman and he had replaced the LCD 9 months prior. 1 month later it started developing lines. I have the 2Seemy card in both and will not be replacing the LCD's again as they cost $200USD each plus shipping.

www.2seemy.com

Last edited:
Depending on your location, there may be an easier (and cheaper) way to get the LCD instead of directly from Tascam.

And by 'mine is dead', do you mean nothing is showing at all, or the dreaded horizontal lines are filling up the screen? If it's the former, there may be a whole different type of problem..

The 2seemy approach is 100% the way to go unless you only have a iMac or MacBook, which would require running parallels to get a Windows session. With a PC it will work either via software display (USB) or directly with a cheap monitor input switching box or even nothing if your monitor has two inputs. Same with a MacPro.
I simply can no longer understand why anyone would want to spend yet more money on a clearly defective Tascam LCD when the 2seemy option exists and is 100% reliable and no harder to install with a very detailed step by step instruction manual. And no, I am not related to 2seemy except for being from the same country.

Reactions: cmaffia
Don't forget: there is no need for any computer with the 2Seemy. It has its own VGA output, so connecting any monitor gets you your DM display back. Only the USB output function may be limited by type of computer.

Another question, I bought my second tascam but do not know how old he is. where can I see it? the serial number?

I actually think the screen breaks through to a bright light behind it. may be a dimmer would be the solution

2SeeMy is the only "better" replacement.

I actually think the screen breaks through to a bright light behind it. may be a dimmer would be the solution

Unfortunately that's not the issue, it's the type of controller that the screen has built into it that degrades after a while due to heat. It's the same issue with the DM24, DM-3200 and DM-4800 which all use basically the same screen. There were mods I did to my older DM24 that were supposed to help (and they did, for a while), but eventually they just keep breaking. The 2seemy solution is absolutely the best way to go for sure.

Hello All. just purchased a DM4800 about a month ago. The seller had just installed a new screen so my screen is working perfectly. He did give me the two old screens that he had replaced. Oh and just to mention that I just finished the order for a 2seemy for when this new screen should ever go. As of now they are on back order so I hope I get mine before the new screen screen decides to go. There are some good you tube videos on the 2seemy to check out.

Just to clear up some misinformation on the LCD failure mode.The LCD has a rubber contact strip both horizontally and vertically that connects the PCB with the circuitry on it to the glass display.There is a row of what appears to be carbon threads that make contact with the glass.One contact,one line of the display.The contact de-laminates under excessive heat-expansion and contraction. If you lose one contact, you get one line blacked out.The schemes I have seen to "repair"the LCD end up failing.This was a design issue with the company that made the LCD for Tascam.Tascam/Teac did not make the display.

Reactions: cmaffia
I saw that display too on eBay about 6 weeks ago. It's approximately $50+ more than the 2SeeMe solution which has proven more reliable. At the time he only had photos of the LCD uninstalled and I asked if he had any showing the LCD working in an actual DM console. He responded quite nastily rambling about his credentials and complained about people "like me" doubting what he sold. All I wanted was to see how the screen looked and proof that it worked in our DM's. Then I saw a few of his feedbacks.

"Very bad customer serv, annoying and rude. Would never buy from ever again.
Akai MPC1000 / MPC2500 Custom Graphic Display ! (#152157302532)"

The screen may work however I still put this seller in "buyer beware" category based on his attitude. I'd still buy the 2SeeMy option over this even if he was the nicest guy in the world due to its price and its reliability being unknown.

Ahh those Brits :}}= Duly noted. As I said I don't have a pressing need. The 2SeeMy option wouldn't work in my current config since I have a 5 display array behind my DM4800....3 for my MacPro Sound Editing work and 2 for my MX creation PC work. I've never come up with a "what if" for the 2SeeMy display. Someday I may have to. This eBay idea is interesting since I will have to haul my DM down to Montebello (fortunately local for me) to have them fix the monitor section which has crapped out and was thinking while they have it open to replace the display. For now I've set up a workaround using the L/R outs of my surround card patched into a Mackie Big Knob. I'm in the middle of my TV season and dread the idea of swapping the 4800 for my 3200 backup. Gotta love the flexibility of our units. Thanks for weighing in.

Wilson

You can most certainly use the 2SeeMe without an additional monitor! Just use one of your existing monitors and hook up those tiny A/B video switches.

Cool idea If/When I have to do it. However along with physical real estate issues with my rig I have display real estate space issues. During my typical Sound Editing work I have the Pro Tools edit window on one of my 28" displays, the video playing on another and the 3rd 30" display is full of plugin windows, file windows and the many windows I need for Izotope RX noise reduction work, which is replaced by the PT mix window when I'm in 5.1 predub mode. I wish I could post a picture of this here... it's crazy and works super well. So I will need to figure out a solution someday for the 2SeeMy. My other issue is I'm running displays via HDMI cables. My old and tired eyes need as much resolution as I can get.

My 2seemy arrived prompt on time but not yet done the installation. My screen is completely useless so i had to take the plunge. The OCD in me will not ignore the faulty display on my DM4800 so I have decided to have it replaced and ordered one of these new screens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152423595366. I think the chap has cleaned up his act and have actually displayed the screen on a DM4800 https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7EcSsF92KI3N25tZWpxdm5Wczg. I will let you all know if and when it arrives and if all is 0k. Thank you all and cmaffia for being a proper legend in this forum.

Yes please keep us in the loop on both installs. I also noticed the eBay seller providing more pix of his screen replacement offering. Real world impressions from you will be even more valuable.

Thanks Tonepad indeed I will report back my experience with both units and will try to document the process if time permits. I am more keen to see how the new screen performs, especially with his claim of "This LED display should be judged as an upgrade not simply a replacement". I will surely put it to the test and only time will tell if it holds true as noted by cmaffia. I am expecting delivery on Friday or Monday. Will keep you all posted.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.