Where would be the best place to send a Portastudio 244 around the Detroit area?

buddum

I'm interested in buying a 244 off of eBay, but my biggest concern is that it might become an expensive paper weight very quickly. I do not know a lot about tape (at all, never even used it casually growing up) and I'm definitely no repairman.

The "refurbished" 244's go for ~$500 online, yet still often have a single broken channel.. The "needs work" ones go for half of that, ~$250, but often have a myriad of problems.

Does anybody know of a reliable place near the Detroit area where somebody that understands these machines could take a look at it? And how much do full on refurbishments and repairs typically cost for these? Thanks.

Not in Detroit but repairs shops are funny. The good ones hear locally will not act they have anything to hide. Others tend to take the money and you begin to wonder what did they actually do. Stuff sits around along time and nothing gets fixed. Testimonies speak loud from actual customers at the places.

Tascam has a repair service. Don't know of they service the potrastudio but last year or two they were willing to service my MSR16 and 238 Syncaset. I have not sent either. But both would undergo a reasonable diagnostics fee and they would provide an estimate and then you decide from there.

The 238 I fortunately was able to fix myself it had a replaced rotary that someone did not install correctly. But the MSR16 was a crap scam on ebay. Seller had return policy and said it was working. Package arrived at my door all dented and busted, literally a ball crap insignificant packaging. We went thru the UPS insurance claim and it was denied, Seller became incompliant, would not pay return shipping due to packaging/scam. I got my money refunded and got to keep the MSR16. You have to notify ebay immediately. So I will send it to Tascam when the time is right but can not tell you more going that route. Perhaps tascam would still service the DM3200 even though it was just laid to rest?

I would suggest find ps244 that is working/so they say. But has a return policy. When received go test test test. And send it back if not as discribed. Be sure to ask them about the extent of testing in details before buying for the burden of proof so when you have at it.

I know the ps244 is a gem. There are other 4 tracks if that would serve your needs. I have a used yamaha 4 tracks all my life and only problem was a broke some transport buttons due to the seriousness of my creativity at the time. A friend has had a 244 for just as long (over 20 years). And only issue was belt comes off from time to time since the day he bought it.

Another option is Craigslist if you can wait to snatched one up. I bought a few items this route. anything instrument or recording wise I was actually able to test on-site. Sometimes that requires you bringing whatever you need to test. perhaps also a possibility if you find a local on eBay selling and test on site. Also I have not checked but is there not a forum for the portastudio here or elsewhere that may have some good information.

Last edited:
First there is NO Tascam repair anymore just those hacks across the street which are board changers. If you want such a device fixed the right way you need to send it to the two best shops at the time that were fixing them. The two people that still exist are Russ Bachmann at New Jersey Factory Service- just look it up on the internet or my shop is Skywave Tape Deck Repair (Chicago area). I and Russ both worked at Teac and repaired these decks all the time. I have two of them here now. My warranty is 6 months and there are no units going out the door with one channel out as we don't do that kind of sloppy work.
There are lots of shops that want or will take your money but can they repair is correctly- probably not. These unit require special tapes to calibrat e the deck called MXT tapes. IF they do not have them don't even leave it there as they are hacks.

New threads

Members online