Why is my DR-40 filling up with invisible files

sharkinferno

Gear owned
DR-40
Further research on my previous post (Help needed wtih DR-40) hsa revealed that the card is almost full. YET... there are NO FILES LISTED.

This thing is filled up with "invisible files" !! ??

I am considering reformatting the card.... but I would really like to know what's going on, if for no other reason than to preven tthe same problem in the future.

This thing used to work fine.... now it is "full" of nothing and I can't record anythingmore than 10:17 minutes.
:(

Please help if you know what is going on.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3
Definitely sounds like a weird glitch! Could be the card has gone "bad", or even that the recorder is damaged, but probably not.

Here's what I would do...

First, in case there are any previously recorded "good" tracks still on the card, I would download/copy/save the ENTIRE contents of the card to your computer. Then you can sort through it all and recover any good stuff later.

Second, re-format the card. (Menu> OTHERS> SYSTEM> FULL FORMAT (prior to firmware version 2.10) or ERASE FORMAT (version 2.10 or newer).

Try a recording. If all is well, you're good! If not, then try a different SD card, and FULL/ERASE FORMAT that one, too.

If things are still messed up, then:

Third, do a "factory reset" to return all settings back to their defaults. (Menu> OTHERS> SYSTEM> INITIALIZE). This will "undo" any messed-up settings. You will have to re-select any custom settings (like recording format, or whether the internal speaker is on, etc.) after the reset.

If the INITIALIZE procedure doesn't put things right, there is one more thing to try, the "nuclear option"...

Turn off the recorder, and remove the batteries. Wait a while (I would give it an hour or two) to allow any internal stored battery charge to drain.

Then install a FRESH set of batteries, and turn on the recorder. It should act like the first time you turned it on, fresh from the box. You should be prompted to set the clock.

If it STILL isn't working right, then I'm afraid it's time to contact TASCAM Support.

Good luck!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.