Working on understanding recording with the DM3200 and TSR-08

MSimms

Gear owned
DM3200
Hello,
I would just like to say that I have learned a lot from reading this Forum. With that being said,

I currently own a DM3200. I also have a Tascam TSR8. I came across some old 1/2 and 1in tapes and have been transferring them to digital through the DM3200.

I currently run the TSR-8 into the DM's M/L inputs and record directly into my DAW (Logic)
I have the firewire card, but I don't know exactly how to set it up to work with my TSR-8.

Here is my question:
How do I setup the DM3200 to play from my Logic so that I can record to tape.
(So I want to do the reverse, record from Logic to my 8 Track tape machine.

I know its probably simple, But I am still learning the about the DM3200.
Can any of you guys (that are of course, great experts) help a simple guy like me?
Thanks!

Your challenge will be finding the 8 analog outputs needed to feed the TSR-8 from the DM-3200. If you have an analog expansion card, that will work perfectly. Otherwise you need to convert TDIF outputs to analog using a MOTU 2408 (TSR-8 has RCA jacks I believe, which would work w the MK1).

If you have 8 analog outputs available using one of these methods, the steps are:

ROUTING TAB
Set up 8 channels with inputs. You can use channels 1-8 for simplicity.
Set the channels’ Input sources = firewire 1-1 to 1-8 (from Logic tracks 1-8)

ASSIGN SECTION = assign each channel to DIRECT. This will route each channel to buss/direct 1 thru buss/direct 8, automatically matching number by number the buss/direct with the channel number.

ROUTING TAB
Set up buss/direct 1-8 on 8 outputs (if you have an analog expansion card in slot 2 you can use that, or a TDIF to analog converter, use that. The setup will be buss 1 = TDIF 1-1 or ADAT-1 output, which goes out to TSR track 1, and so on thru track 8.
Set the channels’ output sources = buss/direct 1 to 8 (to TSR-8 tracks 1-8)

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Thank you for your response. I will try what you have suggested and let you know how it went.
Thank you again.
I am looking at a 2408 now.

Reactions: mixerizer
They’re super duper cheap (easily less than $100). Does the TRS-8 indeed only have RCA? Don’t wanna misdirect you to MK1 if u are better served w MK2 or MK3.

You can also use a 2408 as an ADAT to analog converter on the DM-3200’s internal ADAT port, if you prefer

Yes, The TSR has rca's only. That's why I think I should get the 2408. gives more options.
Excited!

Reactions: mixerizer
Note the 2408 is 8 analog i/o channels and 24 channels of TDIF or ADAT i/o, but it’s one-way. If u wanna use TDIF in and out on the same DM TDIF slot, u will also need a TDIF splitter cable, and a second 2408 mk1 (also also: MK1 has RCA, mk2 and mk3 have 1/4” jacks and the mk3’s are balanced i/o).

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.