Would this work for adding external preamps?

With my one outboard pre/comp setup, I go straight into the DM's INSERT jacks - 1/2 click. This bypasses the DM preamp entirely. In my workflow - using ribbon, and various condenser mikes, I've never experienced a lack of gain using this method. Since I like to track most material at around -12db, which leaves plenty of room for mixdown compression and enhancement, I prefer this approach.

That said, you might be recording weaker sources, or perhaps, using certain lo-gain dynamic mikes. Maybe your outboard preamp doesn't offer enough *clean* gain. By 'clean,' I mean lacking excessive noisefloor. In that case, you could go directly into a DM preamp which WILL give you the extra beef. It won't 'cloud' the signal, or mess anything up. As TonePad said, the DM pres are 'neutral,' - ie 'uncolored.' What you hear going in, is going to be the same coming out - besides EQ, plugins, compression, or any other element that might affect the tonal characteristics of the source.

So you have choices; they depend on your situation and preferences.

CaptDan

rmandelbaum said:
OK, so I am a little confused and have an on / off topic question based on all this.

If I plug the output of an external preamp into the Line In / Balanced 1/4 am I going through 2 preamps?

Or am I essentially doing a preamp to a line amp and simply using an external pre.

I may be way off on what I am asking so please excuse the uneducated ask if I am way off base.

I

When I started using external pre's I was advised to plug into the Insert connector and only plug in to the first contact (This would put the tip in contact with the sleeve connector). This method sends your preamp directly into the ADC on the channel. Going through the line in will send your preamp through the entire preamp in the board before reaching the ADC.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.