X-9 showing error codes

Electricblu

Gear owned
X9
Hello

I have an X9 DJ mixer that is having some troubles.

I run an external DSP RTA/EQ that i run via the effects send and return loop. Unfortunately I recently did some "rewiring" of my setup and plugged the return from the EQ into the footswitch jack sockets. As you can imagine, the mixer wasn't too impressed with this and flashed various lights on and off.

I connected it up properly and now when the mixer turns on and does the self test, it hangs afterwards and displays ERR3 or sometimes ERR1 - if i turn it off and on again a number of times I can get the thing to work however it has become crackly and poor sound quality.

I really like this mixer and didn't want to consign it to the bin. I've looked for a replacement online (ebay etc...) and cannot find one. Local repair shops aren't much use neither (UK Yorkshire).

Does anyone know the likely damage caused and how it can bd fixed or is it beyond repair?

Reactions: Larry h
Need to change a resistor that is the problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181009-181756_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-181756_eBay.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
My X9 is showing err1 and err3 as well. It gets better with time but still gives an err3 every once in a while. It's enough to make the thing unusable.

I bought a copy of the service manual on e-bay and found the following (bad English and all):

If "Err 1", "Err 2" or "Err 3" appears in the left display at this time, the correct communications are not established between U302 (SLAVE DSP) and U303 (micro-comp.) on DSP PCB. If "Err 1", "Err 2" or "Err 3" appears in the right display, the correct communications are not established between U301 (MASTER DSP) and U303 (micro-comp.) on DSP PCB.

If the error message does not go out, the power supply voltage or DSP PCB (errors in U301, U302, U303 or others) are out of way.

I checked the schematics and the U301, U302 and U303 chips are the big flat chips all on the same board so that eliminated the easy to fix loose cable I was hoping for between them.

This left the power supply voltage.

I popped open the face of my X9 (have to remove side screws and a bunch of key caps to get to it) and was able to see the power supply while looking down into the machine.

I found a large 16V 10,000 uF capacitor with a bulging top. Not a good sign. Slapped it on my meter and saw it was only registering around 3K uF and was losing almost 30% voltage. Effectively turning it into a resistor.

$1.75 for a similar capacitor and everything now works great!

Thanks for the info WIII. I've owned three of these over the years and none of them are Working correctly now. They were dependable for over a decade and the sound quality beat most of the other mixers that I played on. And the other great thing about them is the semi parametric EQ which I have not found on any other DJ mixer ever .
However Now two of them have the error 3 & err 1 problem. If it's not a fuse or a bad cable or bad solder then it's beyond my technical ability so I took it into the local technician. He said the way it's built inside makes it almost impossible to test..? So my only option at this point is to send it into Tascam and they could not guarantee they could fix it because they don't make parts anymore. But I need a mixer now so I broke down & ordered the Allen & Heath xone 92 ( because of the two midranges. I guess that's the closest thing to semi parametric out there) . Luckily it has 48 months financing. Somehow I would like to get one of them back in working condition as a backup. Any idea? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi someone have link for buying resistor?

Regards.

First that picture show no resistor but a ceramic capacitor. If these were made in China then the chance that they used low grade parts is certainly possible and putting in a good high grade part will fix the bulging cap issue. That Ceramic disc cap is not likely to be the problem as they do not fail all that often even though I would use a Film cap of the same value- ceramic is garbage to me.

thank you for your answer, indeed it would be wise to solve the problem by changing the capacitor with a better quality model. I'm a little lost to choose one. that's why I would have liked a link to buy it .

Thanks

This is the best one-
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/ELXZ160ELL103MM40S?qs=8LsMxZbc/VcX9D4qP%2BfB1A==
But you can use this as well-
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wurth-Elektronik/860020381029?qs=0KOYDY2FL28vjFms28iSvw==

The first one is a 8000 hour cap but I am sure in the life of the device neither will stop working for you. Similar values are found at Mouser the same way. I tend to install 105*C caps as they by default are better grade of caps.
Also check the size as a cap too large may not fit. The first is 40mm tall. The other is 35.5mm tall.
In the UK Farnell will have parts too.

I have not seen these unit in Chicago but it is possible that the capacitor has nothing to do with the error codes. It is more likely that the device you plugged in may have been damaged or that on the mixer where you plugged it in something happened there. How is the audio without the Equalizer plugged in or any of that stuff hooked in so that you can isolate what was damaged to what.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.