X48 midi control

Winter

Gear owned
X48
Hello all,

Is anyone know how to control the X48 via midi? for example like: Play/Stop/Fwd....
Btw, Im using YAMAHA QL5. I can send the midi signal to X48 (can see the fresh light on X48 panel).
But I cant do anything either.

Please help. Thank you.

From the manual:

Control Mode
The X-48 has four options for transport control:
Internal – The default is local control from the transport, mouse and keyboard
SMPTE – When enabled and the front panel TC CHASE key is enabled, the X-48 chases
the SMPTE timecode from its input jack.
MIDI (MTC) – In this mode with the front pantl TC CHASE key enabled, the X-48 chases
incoming MIDI timecode from it's MIDI input.

Theater Play – This is a special playback mode similar to Auto Cue on a CD Player. Please
refer to Page 49 for details on the use of this mode.

Hope this helps...

What about MMC rather than MTC?

I want the x-48 to respond to MMC (midi machine control) commands from a digital mixer - like track arming, play, stop, ff/rw, etc. But then the x-48 not be chasing an external time code source and rather the x-48 is the time code source.

This is how I ran my mx2424. The MX was time code master and sent MTC out to other devices, but then the MX received MMC from the digital mixer for track arming control and transport controls. So the MX was not chasing time code, just responding to transport controls.

I just tried setting my x-48 up the same way, and it doesn't seem to be sending or receiving midi. Everything else on the x-48 seems to be working (well, I don't have anything to test if it is sending SMPTE or video sync).

Anyone have their midi ports just not work on their x-48?

Anyone know what I should see in Windows device manager to verify if the midi device is even active? (yes, I can get to the Windows device mgr)

Thanks!

FYI: I got MIDI going on my x48. See my other thread about rebuilding an x48 with new motherboard. Was a motherboard compatibility issue.

About MMC, (start / stop / record etc ...) it can be send by an external daw like cubase, works fine.
The timecode can be generated by the X48 or the DAW (preference X48) -both sides needs to be adjusted same thing (frequency, framerate).

For arming tracks, MMC doesn't work directly, you'll have to program sysex commands, but they are recognized on the RS422 port (for example from a DM4800) for 24 tracks. I plan to try to connect 2 DM4800 to arm the 48 tracks, seems possible with some dirty RS422 parallel wiring.

You can check the sysex commands from the arming switches on the x48 by connecting it to a computer running Midiox or other midi viewer.

...trying to control X48 with sysex by midi... doesn't work ?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.