X48 Power Supply

djt

Gear owned
DM4800 X48
(ref the "failure to boot" thread)
Does anyone know anything about the power supply in the X48 (brand, mod number, etc, specs) and/or what power supplies might work as an alternative to the very costly Tascam unit purchased thru them and where best to buy? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DJT

Just an update fyi in case anyone else has a similar problem of no power up. As suspected, it's been confirmed that the power supply is bad by a local (Madison Heights, MI) authorized TASCAM repair facility, confirmed as "replace shorted power supply, align, test". Still amazes me how this could be given the fact that it was so little used and worked perfectly the last time used. Anyway, the cost is $541.89 total as opposed to $593.71 from Teac in CA, except when you add shipping, tax, insurance both ways from and to Michigan, the $593.71 would obviously be much higher.
DJT

Cant help you in this one, in the 788 already have it solved......The proprietary PS/2 wired plug was purposefully made ridiculously complicated to make copying it difficult. Dont expect the x48 to be any simpler.....just keep at it in the web somebody likely been there before.

Several years ago I purchased an X48 off eBay fairly cheap in non operating condition which I diagnosed as a dead power supply. I refused to buy the $$$ Tascam power supply and with a little research and comparing I found a standard higher watt and quieter standard PC power supply that worked just fine. The only mod required was the addition of a small 1 inch square hole in the back of the chassis to allow clearance for the on off switch on the new power supply, which is left in the always "on" position. The only thing you have to be extreemly cautious of is keeping all the metal particles and chips out of the unit the hole. If memory serves me correct it was a PC Power and Cooling unit which has been working flawlessly ever since installation. I would have to pull the top off to get an exact model number.

Several years ago I purchased an X48 off eBay fairly cheap in non operating condition which I diagnosed as a dead power supply. I refused to buy the $$$ Tascam power supply and with a little research and comparing I found a standard higher watt and quieter standard PC power supply that worked just fine. The only mod required was the addition of a small 1 inch square hole in the back of the chassis to allow clearance for the on off switch on the new power supply, which is left in the always "on" position. The only thing you have to be extreemly cautious of is keeping all the metal particles and chips out of the unit the hole. If memory serves me correct it was a PC Power and Cooling unit which has been working flawlessly ever since installation. I would have to pull the top off to get an exact model number.

Hi MBIStudio133,

I wonder, could you identify which power supply you replaced the stock x48 one with ?

I have to leave mine plugged in for about 10 minutes to "warm up" before it will power up.

I'm thinking it's the power supply (fingers crossed)

Thanks for your time,

Al

It probably is an ATX powersupply.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/537003-need-bit-help-x48-rebuild.html

The x48 is very simple in its design, but very effective. Inside it has:

Intel processor Celeron 2.8GHZ/256/533 processor socket 478
iWill motherboard DDR Dimms, 2 onboard Sata ports
I believe it was 512MB DDR 333mhz pc2700
and this pci card that was engineered by Sanewave
The front panel connects into the timeclock board seen in previous post picture two in spot J410
The front panel DVD drive is connected via IDE ribbon cable
The SATA hard drive connects of course to the motherboard and is mounted on top of the 5.25 DVD drive bay and partitioned into two partitions (1: C OS 2: D: Data)

Without the sanewave cards and front panel, the device is just a low end PC. From the PCI card, the other pcb boards (tdif, time clock, bnc word clock) all connect to the PCI card connected to the motherboard by a series of 10pin ribbon cables. Two usb leads seen in picture two of the previous post connect to the motherboard's USB controllers to mount the front panel, and PCB board's drivers into the operating system. The firewire ports are just two leads that connect to the onboard motherboard 1394 controller.

196720d1398702344t-need-bit-help-x48-rebuild-img_0001.jpg
196721d1398702344t-need-bit-help-x48-rebuild-img_0002.jpg

196928d1398702367t-need-bit-help-x48-rebuild-img_1142.jpg
196929d1398702367t-need-bit-help-x48-rebuild-img_1143.jpg

I know this is an old thread but if anybody needs the info, here is a freshly removed Power Supply out of a Gen I X-48. I replaced it with a off the shelf 500 watt unit and the X-48 fired up just fine. You can't find these particular Seveteam units anymore and since you can buy a new supply for $50.oo bucks or so, that is the path I chose. Anyway, thought this might be useful for the few out there still trying to keep these animals going. I ended up using a supply from EVGA.

Attachments

• X48 Power Supply.jpg
    X48 Power Supply.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 55
  • EVGA pwr supply.jpg
    EVGA pwr supply.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: RustyRafters
What about the I/O switch, does how does it sit in the case? and what ram upgrades have you done? thanks!

I had to cut the chassis a bit for the different power supply, otherwise the power switch would be behind metal. . The motherboard just blew up in my unit so I am in the process of a rebuild, so no RAM upgrades yet. I am trashing the Iwill motherboard and going with the one that a lot of guys are going with, can’t think of the model but others list it on here. Allows for the unit to become a Gen II.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.