2488 or DP-24

sj_rydell

Hi.....it has been ages since I have been on this forum. I will make my question brief. I have owned a 2488 since the early 2000's, or when they came out. I still have my 488 tape 8track. So, I have never got used to the 2488 menu driven format. The only real knobs are the sliders. Needless to say I did one song on this & it has been sitting. Every once in a while I will turn it on to make sure things are still working. It is like new.

I see the DP-24, which I am really impressed w. from the reviews and the videos.

So the question....is it worth upgrading to the new dp-24. I know it has no built in cd burner, and from what I read there are some other things missing, not sure what they are?
But it has real knobs for EQ, sends, & Pan.
Will it make quality cd's?

Thank you,
SJ

Hi sj, I don't have a 2488 but wouldn't like to call it as from the spec there seems to be quite a trade-off in functions and you're still constrained by menus to some degree on the dp24. The EQ and Send level knobs are shared across inputs & tracks, so you still can't see settings for all tracks at a glance as you can with a h/w mixer. I use a dp32sd, but justified it as a recording device for processing outside the box. Not sure if I would have chosen it for mixing & mastering, but then again there's very little choice nowadays unless you go down the computer-based recording route.
Function-wise, I don't know if the pre-amp and converter quality has improved, apart from noting that there's a 48KHz digital option on the dp24. They can both handle 24-bits so dynamic range should be similar. As you say, you lose the CD unless you can get hold of a discontinued dp24 as opposed to the dp24sd, but if you don't mind burning CDs with a computer it's fairly easy to transfer files via USB or moving the sd-card, either the complete mix or individual tracks. Looks like they can both record 8 tracks simultaneously, although you get 4 extra XLR inputs on the dp24. There are 3 aux sends on the 2488 so this is one better than the dp24 if that's an issue for you.
So that's my 2 cents to get the ball rolling. A bit negative for the dp24/32 I'm afraid, but the 2488 looks quite a beast - maybe there are things I've overlooked so will leave it to a seasoned 2488 user :)

I owned a 2488 until the transport buttons got stuck so bad that they didn't work anymore. I had no option (unless I bought used) but to purchase a DP-24. After using the DP-24 for almost 2 years, for me, it is a huge step back and not as reliable or easy to use as the 2488.

The DP-24 does not have digital inputs/outputs that I used all the time, only has 2 aux sends, the SD cards are slower than a hard drive, there is no way to mute the monitor feed, soloing and muting tracks now takes an additional push of a button, there is no pitch control, and many other features were removed.

So to answer your question, it is not worth upgrading to the DP-24 as you already have a better machine and yes it is capable of making quality CD's.

Thanks for the replies. It has been so long since I used mine I forgot how to use it. What impresses me on the dp-24sd, are the knobs & screen for EQ. Then you hit a channel button & it displays the eq on that channel. I know it is still menu driven.

I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thanks again.

The DP-24 is still menu driven, as you point out, so it may - or may not be something you can latch on to. Personally, I say get a DP-32SD — which actually costs a little less than a DP-24SD right now brand new (just shop around, and, yes, some places still have it in stock at the discounted price) and see if you can use it.

Here’s the workflow for adding a track:
  • Connect instrument or mic to DP
  • Tap on assign
  • Make sure the assignment screen routes the input to the track you want to record to (let’s make it track one, just to keep it simple)
  • Arm that track by hitting the record button above the track’s fader
  • You can now hear the track using the recorder’s monitor output
  • Hit record and play to start recording
To mix down:
  • Set when the beginning and end of the song are by using the transport controls and the locate in/out buttons.
  • Tap “Mixdown/mastering”
  • Make sure no tracks are armed.
  • Set levels for the tracks to be mixed down
  • One can also set EQ, add effects, etc. (Select a channel by hitting select above the channel’s fader, then tap “mixer” and set EQ and pan using the knobs and buttons)
  • Hit record and play.
  • The mixdown will stop either when the locate out point is reached, or when one hits stops
  • Tap “Mixdown/mastering” again
  • It’s possible to add EQ and multibrand compression here. We will pass, to keep things simple
  • Tap “Mixdown/mastering” yet again
  • After a few seconds, the song will be mixed down.
  • When transferring the mixdown to a computer, get a USB A to Mini (**not** micro) B connector (why Tascam doesn’t have one in a box probably has something to do with the fact their price is getting cheaper every day), connect the connector to a computer, go to menu, move the cursor to “USB”, tap “yes”, and the DP-32SD acts like an external USB drive. In the folder “music” is a .wav file with the mixed down song.
I’m writing all this to give lurkers a sense of what it takes to record and mix on a DP, and whether this is an intuitive workflow. I didn’t find it the most intuitive, but I’m used to working with it and am finding new things I can do with my DP every time I get a chance to make some electronic music.

Nice summary Sam, and agree with dp32 over dp24 but still think the 2488 has more going for it if you've already got one. Just a couple of points in the mix down steps I'm not sure about...
Step 6: no need to press Record+Play, just Record will do (this also applies to step 6 in the first list). Once the mixdown process stops, the 'master' file is ready for transferring so if you don't want to apply mastering FX, just press Mixdown/Mastering until you get back to Multitrack mode and then go to Menu/USB.
Step 11: this won't happen until you press Record (update: I think step 11 may just be in the wrong place in your list). Both mixdown and mastering (for EQ & COMP) processes need an explicit 'Record' pass and take place in realtime. I think the processed audio is also sent to the Stereo Output so you could record it on an external device if you don't have a computer. The only process you don't need a 'record' pass is when normalising in mastering mode; this takes place offline as soon as you press NORM and acknowledge the 'are you sure?' prompt.
I agree it's not intuitive so hope that's not muddied the waters too much :)

Last edited:
I want to thank you for your input. It seems like my old 2488..."has more going for it". So, maybe I need to teach myself this all over again & save some money. That was a great summary.
I will think about it.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online