From
Montreal, Canada
Website
sites.google.com
Gear owned
DM-3200 and Mackie 24-8
I hope this is not too Lame.
I am a log time user of Analog Consoles. Presently I use a 24 input-8Bus-4aux
console. In the studio I have a snake running from the studio that has 24 inputs and this snake runs directly to the console in's.
As you will now see I am totally green to digital consoles. Yes I am an old school type. :)
On my DM-3200 that is in my shop I have 16 mic / line inputs, am I correct that this is all the M/L inputs I have to work with or is there a work around to obtain more M/L inputs?

Regards

PS; still not sure I'll take the digital jump yet? But I do enjoy rebuilding them.
DM3200; Repaired one dead channel, modifying the display, faders stripped cleaned and 2 replaced, power supply recapped.

Hey Garry, You can also add an eight channel preamp via the resident ADAT or TDIF I/O, something like the RME Octamic, for example. Even perhaps a stereo digital preamp utilizing the SPDIF I/O. Lots of choices for enhancing the M/L input capabilities.

I should qualify this by saying that I am a DM4800 user, and whereas both consoles are similar, there are likely differences in FireWire I/O capabilities that may effect how many additional inputs could be used simultaneously for recording. Thought I should mention that. Lots of DM3200 users here that can speak more eloquently on this.

Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampler1 and skier
There are several ways to add additional channels to your DM. One is to add an analog expansion board, such as the IF-AN/DM which provides 8 line-level inputs and outputs. While this has been discontinued by Tascam, it is sometimes still available new from other sources and used versions are often available on eBay and similar sites.

Another option, as Jack mentioned, is that you can use the ADAT, TDIF, or SPDIF I/O to add additional channels. For example, the Focusrite Octopre products will add 8 balanced mic/line level inputs and 8 line-level output channels for about $400 U.S. new; and of course, this is also cheaper if bought used. It can also be purchased new with built in compressors for each channel for about $600.

There are other similar devices from other manufacturers. This is an option that I think would give you the most flexibility and quality sound for the lowest investment.

Jerry

Last edited:
Ahhh , I think not having it in my face is the problem as I am constantly thinking Analog. I have a Focusrite I/O that will do the job. I keep forgetting the I/O is built in to digital.
Thanks guys for my brain fart of a question.

Reactions: -mjk-
I am a DM4800 user, and whereas both consoles are similar, there are likely differences in FireWire I/O capabilities that may effect how many additional inputs could be used simultaneously for recording. Thought I should mention that. Lots of DM3200 users here that can speak more eloquently on this.
Jack, you are right, the DM-4800 has more analog inputs (and more expansion slots), but the FireWire interface is the one thing where both desks are the same, since this expansion card is the same. It offers 32 channels I/O @96kHz for both mixers.

Since the DM-3200 has two slots for expansion, if you want the IF/FW-DM installed plus more analog ins, the other can be an IF/AN-DM for 8 anaolg line ins extra. Plus the possibility to input more digitally, which then can come from the mentioned multi preamps with digital out.

New threads

Members online