A minute of silence for my two Firestudio Project units

Sacco_Belmonte

Gear owned
Tascam 16x08
Hi guys :) First post here.

Today I finally retired my two Firestudio Project interfaces. Believe me it was hard to part with them. I live in Europe and have a Composer's Studio with 4 mics, lots of gear, lots of guitars and guitar pedals.

Pros:

- The Pres were quite clean, the interfaces are really well designed, super flexible. - One gave me around 15 years of great service (besides I needed to repair the PSU's rectifier)

- The other is only 4 years old. Working like a champ.

- Both are working by the time I retied them.

Cons:

- They were old, used Firewire, their PSUs heat up a bit and make the room hotter, also in summer (27c room temp and upwards) they get real hot so I feel like shutting them off.

- No more Driver support (understandable) In Windows, the drivers started to get a bit finnicky the last two years and once in a while changed Sample Rate to 96KHz and messed with the latency for no reason when launching an ASIO app. I could work that around but it was getting annoying.

----------------
I replaced them with a TASCAM 16x08

I've searched all options, starting with Presonus. There were some contenders, one of them pretty close was the Roland 16x10 but for over 700 Euro.

- 16x08's Pros:

- No heat. No Firewire. Good old USB2 (latency down to 4ms, so future proof)

- Drivers work like a charm (despite a bug with the channel's names) . - DSP EQ/Compressor. It is actively developed for and not yet discontinued.

- The inputs are super clean, the Pres are WAY cleaner and louder than my Firestudio Project's which had a some noise floor at max level. The 16x08 is just clean and I cannot be happier with them.

- One Con (not a problem for me) is the lack for multiple mixes per output pair (which the firestudio did) - I know Presonus has also great top-notch newer products but none were right for me either price/features/number of inputs.

- There are some cool contenders out there for a 16in but none at that price. There are many options but nothing that was as optimal as the 16x08 in my case. Anyway, cannot be happier with the overall quality of this interface and wanted to share that too if you are looking out for a new interface.

EDIT: Just tried some more. There is no noise floor! None!...can't believe how darn clean this interface is.

Honestly this interface is probably gonna end being a classic in the future. Well done TASCAM!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.