Another way to record *from* DAW to M12

Daniel Stroup

Gear owned
Used to have a 424
This is an alternative method to recording multiple tracks FROM a DAW simultaneously into the Model 12, while in SONG MODE, not DAW MODE

The soft synths appear to synch with click on M12, but I'm NOT using DAW mode. I start record on the M12, then start the Logic transport manually on the 1 downbeat of bar 3.

I'm using Logic Pro on my mid-2011 iMac (yeah I know, my new 27in iMac arrives tomorrow)

On M12:
1) I create a new song with 24bit/48
2) In CLICK menu, turned CLICK on and set tempo to 100 BPM.
3) Set BAR DISP to ON.
4) In MIDI menu, turn on TIMECODE and MIDI CLOCK
5) Set each CHANNEL MODE to PC

In iMac:
6) Connect M12 USB to iMac and launch TASCAM ModelMixer Software to confirm recognition. If the iMac "sees" the M12, it fills in the blanks to show settings from M12

In Logic:
7) Open Logic and new project with NI Kontakt 5 as software instrument. Set TRANSPORT to 100 BPM.
8) I setup Kontakt to send different instruments out different outputs...some mono, some stereo.
9)In Logic's PROJECT SETTINGS I set the Synchronization to SYNCH MODE=MTC *default is INTERNAL*
10) Record midi in Logic for each instrument. (I use a Nektar Impakt LX25 which has transport controls)
11) As I'm recording midi in Logic, I'm monitoring the audio through the M12 with each channel set to to PC MODE and have the MAIN button pressed. I confirm incoming levels using the SIG Input Meters for each channel is under -12dB.

To Record:
12) Arm RECORD for each track used on M12 corresponding to Logic's mixer outputs.
13) Start CLICK on M12, then press RECORD button on M12 transport. Counter is incrementing in beats and bars. I have been allowing about 2 bars to play through on the M12, then ....
14) I manually press PLAY on Logic transport in time with CLICK from M12 - like a PUNCH IN.

15) After Logic playback, hit STOP on M12 to end recording.
16) Change M12 Channel MODE to MTR
17) Playback all recorded tracks and mix.

So far, it APPEARS that Logic is in synch with the click. I've only recorded about 32 bars so far, so it MAY drift over time. But for now, it's close enough that when I jog back and forth in beats and measures, it seems dead on.

This seems better to me than the DAW setup, which I feel is limited. When using DAW mode, I can only record to tracks 1 and 2 for stereo, or track 1 for mono. I can then SWAP those tracks and record the next midi instrument (one at a time), but I haven't seen a way to swap TRACKS 1-2 onto a M12 STEREO TRACK; 7-8, 9-10.

Using the method I just outlined, I can record 2 diff stereo tracks to 7-8 and 9-10, while recording mono tracks to 1-4, all at the same time. This may not end up being the most efficient way, but as I'm getting my head around the abilities of the M12 I stumbled on this, and so far I like it.

I'm able to build entire songs using midi instruments, then bring them into the M12 on separate tracks, where I can then practice and add guitar, bass and vocals.

Last edited:
Another thing...I can play a virtual synth *LIVE* with M12 MTR tracks during playback and even record my live organ, pad, or ambient drone in the M12 on the fly... This allows me to open any Native Instruments standalone synths to play live without opening Logic, using the iMac as a standalone instrument. I really like this.

New threads

Members online