Behringer Studio XL owners; how do you make connections with your Model 12?

Ugly Bunny

Gear owned
DP-32SD, Model 12
Long story short, I was turned on to the Behringer Studio XL by the wonderful @-mjk- , which will be arriving in the next couple days (the Studio XL, not -mjk- lol). I plan to use this so I can have my Model 12's MAIN fader/levels at the ideal recording/playback level but be able to adjust the volume in the room separately.

My question is simply this; can I (should I?) route the MAIN outputs with XLR cables into the combijack XLR/TRS jacks on the Studio XL or should I get a pair of (male) XLR-to-TRS cables and use one of the other inputs on the Studio XL? I was also planning on running a pair of unbalanced cables from the SUB output to one of the other inputs (but that may not be inportant to the discussion; there are a total of 3 stereo inputs on the unit).

Sounds like a stupid question, I'm sure, but I only ask because the diagram in the Studio XL's manual shows a condenser mic plugged into the (combijack) input, not a mixer. It shows a tape recorder being plugged into one of the other inputs.

So I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to be getting additional mic preamp coloration and stuff if I take the MAIN out and go into input 1 of the XL. I hate to keep buying more specialized cables (would not have a need for these elsewhere), but I can if need be. Thoughts? My gut tells me that I should just go MAIN to Input 1, but I thought I'd consult the experts :)

Not a stupid question. The combo jacks are for instrument or microphone sources. Use one of the other inputs (3/4, 5/6) that are meant as feeds from consoles or other non-instrument sources.. The cool thing about the Studio XL is that there are trims on those inputs so you can match levels on all your gear. XLR to TRS is the way to go. Also, enjoy the USB connectivity!

Once you get it set up, you can do a null test.

You need 2 channels of white noise and the ability to invert the polarity of one channel. This could be any source, but it must be identical on each channel.
  1. Bring both channels of white noise up to a nominal level on the mix bus.
  2. Pan each channel dead center.
  3. Reverse the polarity of one channel.
  4. Adjust the level of one channel until the white noise disappears (nulls).
  5. Leaving the levels as-is, pan the channels L/R (you will hear the white noise again).
  6. Press the Mono button on your monitor controller.
  7. Observe whether the signal nulls.
Adjusting the gain control on the sending device may also affect the null. You may have to find a point where it nulls and leave it there permanently, only adjusting the monitor level with the controller. In my case, the Control Room knob on my console nulled when it was turned all the way up. Any other position allowed leakage, thus revealing a stereo imbalance. The Studio XL has trim pots so the controller won't be overwhelmed by high input levels if you have to something similar.

Not a stupid question. The combo jacks are for instrument or microphone sources. Use one of the other inputs (3/4, 5/6) that are meant as feeds from consoles or other non-instrument sources.. The cool thing about the Studio XL is that there are trims on those inputs so you can match levels on all your gear. XLR to TRS is the way to go. Also, enjoy the USB connectivity!
Ugh. Not the answer I was hoping for, but the one I was expecting lol. I went ahead and ordered more cables. Should be here tomorrow, when the XL is supposed to get here, so no biggie.

Thank you; and I'll try the null test, too. Is that to determine if my speakers are in the right place? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it or what exactly it's meant to demonstrate or fix. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, since you're my official/unofficial Model 12 mentor, what would you use all the additional inputs and such for on the XL? If I'm using the Model 12 as my USB soundcard (and where I'd plug all my guitars/synths/mics in), I'm not sure what I'd need all the additional ins/outs on the XL for, but I'm gonna try to find some use for them to help justify the money I spent on it lol!

@Ugly Bunny the null test is to make sure that your stereo field isn't going to change when you use the controller, and that it is centered (equal on both channels) before you start working with it.

The other inputs are for other devices. You could also put a DP-32 into it, or a tape machine, etc.. The Studio XL also has a USB connection so when that button is down you can listen to computer audio on your monitors. Very useful especially when editing videos.

Reactions: Ugly Bunny
Brilliant ideas! Honestly, the only thing I would need the Tascam as a soundcard for would be for my NDSP plugins (playback & recording). I had completely forgot you can use different I/O for different things. So yeah, I'll explore some options there. And probably make the Behringer my main soundcard.

Anyway, yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the forum with non-Tascam related gear questions lol - But I'll use that link if I have anymore XL-specific questions :)

Reactions: -mjk-
We also have a forum on this site for non-Tascam equipment. It's just that you're more likely to get advice on an equipment-specific site (of course).

Reactions: Ugly Bunny

New threads

Members online