Can I connect my guitar effects pedals directly into the 24sd to record my sound?

Roosta

Gear owned
Tascam 24sd
I am waiting on my 24sd to be shipped to me. I am wondering if I will be able to run my effects pedals directly from my guitar to the machine and record?

Thank you.

I have a 32SD and that's how I do it. I don't know if its the best way, but it works perfectly fine. I have a RIC 360/12 and use a JangleBox at the minimum, sometimes with a Wah-Wah, but plugged directly into the "H" input with the guitar switch turned on. Sounds great.

If you simply run your guitar through a tube screamer or something... and then directly in to the DP - you're likely not going to get a very good sound. It'll work... but you'd probably be better off just using the effects in the machine as opposed to external guitar pedals. To use the pedals by themselves in that way.... you really need a DI box or some sort of speaker emulator or something.

Now - if you're using something like a dedicated guitar multi-effects processor (like the Digitech RP360 - is what I use) - then you're good to go with just that. And with this type of processor you do not need to use the "H" input set for "guitar/Hi Z". I just run the stereo outs of the gtr processor to any two available inputs.

; - )

Last edited:
Reactions: mariusvideo
jimi ray, about the Digitech RP360; I'm looking for a good effects unit that I can use with guitar or vocals on mixdown. What are your thoughts on its use as a general effects box for Send2? How does it stack up against the DP24/32 internal effects?

Hi Mark -

The RP360 is a great unit - particularly for the price. I snagged mine for about $160.00 (US) when I showed an online sales price to the guy at GC. Of course, it's not anywhere close to the league of the Kemper, Axe FX, or high end Line 6 units... but it is a very powerful and versatile processor that has *dozens* of amp models and hi quality guitar effects. And that should be emphasized... it is a dedicated *guitar* multi-effects processor - but no doubt - I could see it being useful for other things like vocals and/or keyboards... although I have not used it in that capacity. I use it as an insert... guitar---> RP360----> stereo or mono out and then into DP input(s). I have not used the RP360 as an external send effect (although I have used other effects that way). Like many of these things... it does certain things really well - and others are just so-so. I'm particularly talking about guitar amplifier and speaker cabinet modeling/emulation. Some of them sound great - others just ok. But it's highly tweakable and all presets are adjustable to your liking. And it has tons of effects. Really great analogue, tape, digital, and ping-pong delays... reverb and presence effects up the whazoo... and on and on. Pull up the manual from the Digitech site to see all the amp, cabinet, and effects options. They are NUMEROUS. And again... for the $$..... it is a real value. I'm sure there are some good youtube video demos out there as well.

It can be adapted as a very useful stage performance guitar effects unit as well.

; - )

Thx, jimi ray. I had d/l'd the manual to see what it could do, and given the low cost, it got me thinking about double-duty possibilities. I think I just might go for it, and if it works for vocals and keyboards, it'll be a bonus. Thanks again for your help.

jimi ray, just wanted to give you a shout out for letting me know about the RP360. I bought one over the weekend and am having a ball with it. It reproduces perfectly my (original owner) vintage '64 Fender Deluxe/Premier90 spring reverb rig. Not only is it a great guitar effects unit on the front end; with a little care and tweaking it also makes a good external fx unit for the DP's Send2 (and at a very reasonable price). So, thank you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
I use a Zoom G1on, It has amp and speakers simulator and sounds good connected to line inputs of the Dp24sd. If you have some pedal effect you can use the amp simulator of the dpsd24 (you can find It inside effects/Guitar section) that sounds good too.

Right on Mark! Glad you found and appreciate this great value. If you haven't checked it out yet... look for the additional downloadable presets that are available at the Dititech RP360 web page. There are some really cool options there as well to go with what it comes programmed with. As I'm sure you are figuring out... it is a very powerful processor.... very capable and versatile.

I connect my Boss Pedal Board to my DP-32sd, and then I connect my guitar to the pedal board. It works just fine..

I've had luck putting it through a preamp then into the Tascam.

I have no doubt that it likely depends a lot on the type of effects you are using. And I can't see why having a good quality amp would not make it sound better. But I have a crappy old Fender Chorus amp that has been moved across many states since the 1990s when I bought it and is in need of repair to get rid of noise and other issues. So right now my best choice is to go direct into the Tascam.

However, as I mentioned, I have used it with Jangle box and Wah and it sounds very nice to me. With my Ric 360/12 I like to go for a bright sound (ala Byrds), but I suspect it might also make a difference if I wanted to go for a more warmer sound, esp from a tube amp.

I just purchased Electro-Harmonex' "Talking Machine", "Mel9" Mellotron simulator and "Synth9" synthesizer simulator pedals, delivered about an hour ago.

I am testing the Talking Machine now. Its very cool and has good sound. However, as I said, it likely could be improved going though a good quality amp, but I am very happy to use it as it is.

If I find anything I don't like regarding the Mel9 or Synth9, I will post again.

Best,
Stephen

I also have the Synth 9.
It's pretty good. Some of the 9 I like right out of the box others are kind of cheesy sounding.
The string synth is cool and the synth bass. One other that I can't remember the name of.

In the absence of a good quality amp as I said you can always run everything through a little pre amp. $40. I've had to do that since our kids were babies and I couldn't be loud.
I found it gives me an "open" sound without the need to mic anything. I've never quite liked the sound of guitars and effects direct in.
But I haven't tried it on the DP32.

Hi BikerDude!

I pretty much expected to hear noisy harsh sounds with the Synth9 when I first took it out of the box. Not surprised, But a bit of tweaking and I started getting great sounds out of it. I particularly like the deep fuzzy sounds. So far, my favorites are the two Moog simulations (mini and bass) as well as the OBX. I got a good "reverse" sound out of the EHX Mini as well.

I agree with you regarding the Synth9 needing a preamp. I think anything that has a deep warm sound, like many of these Synth sounds are definitely improved when I go through my tube preamp.

It probably just depends on the effect and what you are doing. As I mentioned, the bright trebbly sound of the Jangle box and Wah sound fine direct. I also found that a number of the talking machine sounds are fine without the preamp as well.

Best,
Stephen

New threads

Members online