Capt. Dan Goodman

DaveDC9

Website
www.jazzguitaristdavidcaudle.com
Gear owned
DM 4800
Hello Everyone,
My name is David Caudle. I've been a member here for a while even though I don't do a whole lot of posting. The reason for this thread is because I learned just yesterday, that Dan Goodman aka (CaptDan) passed away back on July 12th from a sudden heart attack. I looked through the threads to see if there was any mention of his passing and I didn't find anything so I thought I would post this as maybe you folks too, would want to know.

I'm a 4800 owner, upgrading from the FW 1884 back in early 2013 and when I first got my new desk there was the usual learning curve. On occasion I would run into a problem, want to do something the manual didn't address or was just plain stupid about some aspect etc........ and I would of course, come here to this forum to see if anyone else was dealing with the same situation, had any answers or explanations for such, which you guys always do. There is tons of experience and knowledge here and a resource like this is, to say the very least, extremely valuable. Thank ya'll. On one such occasion I contacted Dan about something, what I don't remember, and he was all too willing to help. I came to find out that Dan was not only a studio owner like myself, but also a jazz guitarist, as I am. Dan was also quite a talented mastering engineer. We developed a friendship over the last couple of years and here in the last 6 months or so, Dan mastered two CD projects for me. He had a great ear and he did a fantastic job with both projects. I hadn't talk to him in a while so I called his cellphone the other day and I got this strange message. It appeared the account had been canceled. This was very unusual and I hate to say it, hoping it was just a fleeting thought, something was wrong but that's exactly where my mind went. I sent him an email thinking like I sometimes want to do, he threw his cellphone in the Bay or something and a couple of days later I got a reply from his wife letting me know that Dan had past away back in July. She knew that we were friends and wanted me to know what happened. Dan was 64 or 65 I believe. Unfortunately, my intuition was right, I'm sad to say.

Dan was also a Mariner Captain. He piloted these big charter boats hauling folks around the Bay area in San Fran until he went out on what we call in the transportation industry, a medical. He was a talented composer and jazz player so we always had something to talk about other than just the board. He had also worked in the film industry so the "inside" stories he had about the business, the people etc......was always funny to listen to.

I know Dan made many contributions to this forum and perhaps you too, had the opportunity to talk with him, get to know him or enlist his help on some matter. His knowledge and experience with the DM boards was extensive and he was always a very big help to me. He was a no nonsense type of guy with a great sense of humor wrapped with a sarcastic twist which I always found amusing and appreciated. He was a friend, a great guy and a gentleman. I will miss him. May God bless Dan, his wife and his family.
David Caudle

Thanks Arjan, and I apologize to everyone. I just found out on Tuesday and when I looked here on the forum I didn't find anything. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
Thank you.
David

Thank you David for sharing your kind and fond memories of Dan. I only knew of him on this forum briefly but I read everything he posted after I joined, and all I can say is that he was an intellengent helpful and sweet man. I miss him too.

Best,

Andrew Bacon

Thanks Arjan, and I apologize to everyone. I just found out on Tuesday and when I looked here on the forum I didn't find anything. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
No apologies needed, there's no real appropriate place for these things on a forum, I guess.. Thanks for sharing your memories of him.

David, thank you for sharing those very touching memories.

New threads

Members online