Combine two US 16x08's

Peter M. Groen

Gear owned
US16x08
I own two US16x08 interfaces both hooked up to my iMac. If I install the driver, only one is recognised and useable. ( Both are plugged in directly. I would like to combine those two into one aggregated device, to create a 32 channel interface.

Is this possible?
Why do I only see one interface by the driver?

Peter

I spoke with the support people at Tascam and they say you can use only one unit per computer. That's a bummer because I too wanted to use two.

You can use more than one, but you have to hook them up through another hardware device. On TASCAM's support page for the US-16x08, they hook up 3 for 24 mic inputs, and talk about someone using 2 in their studio for recording drums. .

Here's the response they gave me

Hello,

10-16 are not mic inputs they are line inputs for instruments or drum machines and keyboards. If you want a total of 16 microphone inputs you could use 2 US-16x08 units using one as a stand alone eight channel mic amp taking it's outputs into the 8 line inputs which would be connected to the computer via USB. Making it for $600.00 the best sounding 16 mic inputs interface system for the money.

Regards
Brian
Tascam support

Very old thread, but I'm trying to clarify the last comment if someone can help... The "best sounding" is due to the fact that it's a TASCAM product, not the preamp quality, correct? My reason for this clarification is that the USB interface of the second unit would not benefit from its onboard preamps, just the first unit line outs into the second. So only 8 mic inputs would benefit (as best sounding) from preamps, not 16. Preamps are not used if this interface is connected via USB to a computer.

The correct number would be 14 mic preamps. 8 standalone mic preamps into 2 line inputs on the USB connected unit + the remaining 6 mic preamps on the USB connected unit.

Another possibility (and what I was thinking of), which would still allow for individual editing of each track (all 16 XLR mic inputs) in a DAW once recorded, would be to output the first 8 from outs 1-8 on the back panel to line inputs 9-16 (or you could do 6 through using 11-16 on rear panel alone) on the second unit.

But the question I had was still not answered. According to the manual the US16x08 preamps do not function if the unit is used as a USB interface. So only the first 8 channels routed through the first unit would actually benefit from built-in preamps in that unit.

According to the manual the US16x08 preamps do not function if the unit is used as a USB interface.

It's almost 4am here and I've been in the studio all night. Please copy and paste that paragraph from the OM. Thanks.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.