Copying tracks from a very long recording

Dante Trottier

Gear owned
DP32SD
Hello,
My band recorded about 2 hours of live tracks on one file on my DP32SD. I want to send the individual tracks to Audacity to edit just the portions I want to use. However, when I try, the DP32 says that I can't export that much data into the Music Depot. Is there a way to just transfer the portions of the tracks I want to copy? What I have to do now is mix a particular song section on the DP32 and then move the wav file to my computer. But then I have to do this for each section and that means I can't save the all the EQ, effect or panning settings from the song I just mixed (unless I write everything down for each track). Ideas, thoughts?

...2 hours of live tracks on one file on my DP32SD. I want to send the individual tracks to Audacity to edit just the portions I want to use....Is there a way to just transfer the portions of the tracks I want to copy?...do this for each section...means I can't save all the EQ, effect or panning settings from the song I just mixed
Welcome to the forum, Dante. Hope you'll be a frequent visitor. :)
  • You should first check the available free space on your SD card.
  • If you haven't made any edits to the individual tracks, and they're each a contiguous 2 hours with no stops and starts, you should be able to copy them directly from the song file on your SD card to your computer and then import them to your DAW. Explained here about 2 years go.
  • If your tracks aren't contiguous, you may still be able to export them one at a time to Audio Depot and move the individual exported track files one at a time to your computer.
  • Since you want to retain the mix settings for each song, cloning/copying to empty vitual tracks won't help, but there's another option that involves making numerous copies of your 2 hour song, and in each copy, editing out all but the section you want to work on in that copy. If you don't have sufficient room on your SD card, then the copies have to be made on your computer and moved on/off your SD card so you can work on them one at a time. Much more complicated, but can be done with a lot of planning, care and patience.
Just about anything you need to know about using your portastudio can be found (or sussed out) in the stickies in the shaded area on the first page of the 2488/24/32/SD forum; or by making a search of the forum. So if you need an answer quickly about something, you won't necessarily have to wait for someone to respond.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
@Dante Trottier setting the In and Out marks sets the range for mixing. You may mix individual songs that way. After each mix you transfer your mixdown file to the PC so you can keep doing it without overwriting your previous mix. There are other things you can also do to preserve the mix file, such as renaming the song before going onto the next mix. If you are using the DP to master, make sure you finish the mastering on each song before you copy it to your PC.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.