Creating 2 Custom Output Mixes

ToddH

Gear owned
Model 12
I have a model 12. I would like to create 2, separate output mixes for 2 band members. Is it possible to map 7/8 to AUX 1 and 9/10 to AUX 2? And/or how can this be done? At the moment, I am using the SUB OUTPUT L/R with a splitter into a behringer headphone pre-amp. But, both band members have 1 mix. They now want their own mixes (selfish bastards). :)

Reactions: dane133
Hi Todd, if I understand you right, you have the two separate mixes recorded (or being input) on tracks 7-8 and 9-10?

For mix 7-8:-
If so, you can simply roll up the Aux1 knob on Track 7-8 and the Aux1 knob in the monitoring section to output the mix from that track in MONO from the Aux1 jack to a headphone amp. Alternatively, instead of feeding a headphone amp from the Aux1 jack, plug the headphones directly into headphone jack 1 or 2 and select Aux1/2 instead of Main under the headphone volume knob. That'll give you the mix being sent to Aux1.

For mix 9-10:-
Similarly roll up the Aux2 knob on Track 9-10 and the Aux2 knob in the monitoring section to output the mix from that track in MONO from the Aux2 jack to a headphone amp. Note that you'll lose any internal effects when you plug a jack into Aux2 (it disables the effects).
The headphone jack acts differently with Aux2 - it seems to only output Aux2 to the phones, if something is plugged into the Aux2 jack.

It isn't ideal, but might get you the result.

Cheers, Rocky.

I'm struggling with the same issue - at least i think so :)

If I understand it correctly, you want to have separate headphone-mixes in phones 1 and phones 2. I can see you write aux 1 and aux 2, but those aux-outputs are only mono, so the nice solution would be to get the mixes through phones in stereo - at least if you guys use in-ears, where the room-sound should be minimal. If using monitors, it is simple to route it through the aux 1 and aux 2 like Rocky described.

This is to Rocky...
... your solution through phones is not working for me..or I can't get it to work. Is it ment to be for two separate phone-outs or is it a phone out and an aux out, you described?

It would be nice if they would fix this issue at Tascam, så the phoneoutputs could be used for musicians and not only for radio/podcasts/streaming

Reactions: Rocky
This is to Rocky...
... your solution through phones is not working for me..or I can't get it to work. Is it ment to be for two separate phone-outs or is it a phone out and an aux out, you described?

The latter, a phone out and an aux out. I'm sure I checked that it worked before writing it...
Admittedly a bit cludgy!!

Ok, then I'm on board.
So...in reality it's possible to make three individual headphone-mixes with aux 1 output, aux 2 output and sub output.

1. Sub-headphone-mix: I made the sub-output work in stereo through using a splitter-cable backwards - two mono TS-cables joining in a stereo TRS and ending in my headphones (might need an amplification).
2. Aux1-headphone-mix: As described by Rocky, but with a cable or box that can route a monosignal from the aux2-output to a double monosignal in right/left (stereo) side. There migt be a way to route this to the Phone output as described by Rocky.
3. Aux2-headphone-mix: As described by Rocky, but with a cable or box that can route a monosignal from the Aux1-output to a double monosignal in right/left (stereo) side.

I'd hoped that it would be possible with the phone-outputs instead of using the aux outputs.

It would be easy to fix this from Tascam, as I understand that it's a digital(=programming) fix to change this...but I don't know for sure?

Feel free to add other solutions...

Reactions: Rocky

New threads

Members online