DI Box

Ah, I just read it again. It has terminals on the PC board allowing you to connect battery terminals to snap into a 9V battery, or you can have the dealer do it - my mistake.

By the way J. No need to stop what you're doing just to cater to my inquiries. I appreciate it very much but am certain that you do have a life outside of this Forum

As a moderator I have to issue a warning. Life outside the forum is not permissible.

I want to hear that mic. I love my tube mic.

By the way J. No need to stop what you're doing just to cater to my inquiries. I appreciate it very much but am certain that you do have a life outside of this Forum

No problem Peter; I'm here building a number of units of a product I sell and it's boring to do. It's more interesting to talk about DIs (now that tells you just how boring building these units really is.)

Last edited:
@skier Units? Please do tell!

As a moderator I have to issue a warning. Life outside the forum is not permissible.

I want to hear that mic. I love my tube mic.

I knew that I was going down a rabbit hole once I stumbled upon this forum. We are all doomed I tell you. Get out while you can. Or face the wrath of the one known only as "MJK"

Reactions: -mjk- and skier
I've designed some monitoring units for the greenhouse world. They measure various growth parameters inside the house to generate metrics so the grower knows what's going on, and if it's not good, they know what needs to be addressed. My current problem is that this part of my business is growing, but is not yet large enough for me to make a large investment to have a company manufacture and assemble them for me. Once I can start purchasing components by thousand item lots, my overall costs tumble and my profit margins soar. But getting to the point where I feel comfortable investing another 30 - 50K or so is the trick. Until then, it's financially safer for me to produce them and I have been clever about some parts of my production line (and dumb about one or two... or perhaps more...) and have gained some important efficiencies. When manufacturing a product, bootstrapping the business going from onesies and twosies to hundreds and thousands is the challenge, and at some point, I have to be comfortable enough to take the financial leap and put up the cash. I'm getting closer, but not there yet.

Reactions: -mjk-
@skier When you say "greenhouse world" what you really mean is Cannabis World (wink wink) right?

Just pulling your chain. Sounds like another exciting endeavor. Looking forward to seeing you on Nasdaq

Well, not cannabis as a focus per se, any greenhouse plant in general. Though I do know that many existing greenhouses are being built explicitly for the cannabis market and many existing houses are being converted for that crop, primarily because the margins are so high. But because of that huge focus, I wonder if that supply market will be saturated some time soon.

Just 2 years ago, I was reading articles of a Canadian company, Canopy, building a huge greenhouse for this product, but recently read more articles of them selling the houses at a huge loss because the market is growing much more slowly there than they anticipated. That's why I'm focusing on the value of my product to whatever crop is grown irrespective of the crop's margins. If buying my product doesn't work in a particular market, then it won't sell there. But it is working in the produce and ornamental markets so far, even though the profit margins don't approach that of cannabis.

@skier By the way I think that I am going to swap out the J48 for their JDI model instead. In the event that I do end up doing everything in the box. Two birds with one stone so-to-speak.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/jdi

If you go that way, I do believe you will be equally satisfied - they just make great products; and going passive eliminates your concern about the need for phantom power.

I do my mixing in the box, but I definitely prefer to move faders and knobs than making adjustments with a mouse. I find it impossible to do things like moving four faders up while simultaneously moving two or three of them down with a mouse. But doing that with physical faders is easy. I just use the DM in Remote mode for that, so I'm still mixing in the box but controlling it with a real, physical control surface.

I knew that I was going down a rabbit hole once I stumbled upon this forum. We are all doomed I tell you. Get out while you can. Or face the wrath of the one known only as "MJK"

Very scary! The moderator knows all.

If you go that way, I do believe you will be equally satisfied - they just make great products; and going passive eliminates your concern about the need for phantom power.

I do my mixing in the box, but I definitely prefer to move faders and knobs than making adjustments with a mouse. I find it impossible to do things like moving four faders up while simultaneously moving two or three of them down with a mouse. But doing that with physical faders is easy. I just use the DM in Remote mode for that, so I'm still mixing in the box but controlling it with a real, physical control surface.

Trust me. I too prefer pushing / pulling faders and turning knobs. I also like to be pro-active. Just in case the wife and I downsize at some point then I would definitely consider doing everything ITB. If the passive DI accomplishes the same as the active in my case then so be it. Most of the responders DM owners appear to be using the passive flavor. So there must be something to that

@Peter Batah Radial is great quality! No noise, sturdy, well laid-out and designed. Almost all my DIs are Radial - most of them in the StageBug series. You don't mention what you want to use the DI box for, but they have a whole range, also specific ones, for piezo acoustic guitars for instance.

@Arjan P Thank you for your response. Basically I want to use the DI to go straight into the DM electric guitar / bass.

I have two J48s and the passive one. Great DIs. put it between a bass and your machine and I promise you glorious bass :)

@BazzBass Which one are you sing for guitar and bass. Or, are you using both the passive and active models for that purpose

@Peter Batah The most important reason IMO to pick either passive or active is signal level. For a Telecaster and a bass guitar you should be OK with a passive DI. I have StageBugs SB-1, SB-2, SB-4 and SB-5, where the SB-4 is optimized for piezo acoustic guitars. But for the average guitar I usually grab the SB-2 (passive) because I don't have to worry about phantom power on or off.

@Arjan P That's a lot of SB's you got going there dear friend. A whole family in fact. :cool:

@Peter Batah Well, I see them as a tool kit. If you buy a Phillips #2 screwdriver, you'll see that next time you see a screw it probably needs a Phillips #1 screwdriver..

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
@Arjan P I agree. And, let's not forget the old reliable Robertson bit. No Robertson, no backyard deck. Actually, I prefer it over the Philips.

Now you have me wondering if the Radial JDI is a little overkill when perhaps the SB-2 might do just fine. I understand it is built with the Jensen transformer but comes in at the twice the price. Hmmm. Decision, decisions, decisions!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.