Digital Drums on Portastudio?

Folkfan1290

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a DP-03SD or the Model 12. I'm looking for a unit that will enable me to go DAW-less, and I like the workflow that comes with limited tracks. I plan on playing all instruments on my recordings except for drums.

For either of these units, will I be able to make a drum track on software like EZDrummer 2 and then record that drum track onto the multitrack recorder?

Thanks!

Not sure about the Model 12. It is a *different animal*. NOT a full blown portastudio like the DP-03SD or it's bigger cousins: DP-24SD and DP-32SD.

With regard to the latter machines mentioned above....

Short answer: yes.

I work this way often.

EZDrummer 2 allows you to export .wav files of whatever drum part you've created. You can export them all as one stereo track (your best bet when you have limited tracks) - or as individual wav stems - or in whatever groupings you choose (by either soloing or muting in the EZDrummer 2 mixer screen).

If you don't mind me saying - and I understand you may have your reasons - I don't understand why you might go with the DP-03SD (8 tracks) at roughly $330.00 when you can spend not that much more and get the DP-24SD (18 mono - total of 24 tracks) at 500.00.

Something to think about.:)

Last edited:
Thank you! I've got a follow up question:

Would it be difficult to use this method if drums don't come in at the start of the song? How could I make sure that the metronome on the multi-track recorder is lined up with the drums .wav file?

The only solution I have in mind is recording a scratch track of my song onto the multi-track recorder, fast-forwarding to the part when the drums come in, and making sure everything is lined up. But in this case, what would I do if the drums are not lined up? On a DAW, I could just drag tracks over. How would I do this on the Portastudio or Model 12?

There is probably more than one way to skin that cat - but, yeah, your above mentioned method of planning ahead and then "lining things up" is the way I would go about that.;)

Can I do that lining up in the multi-track recorder, or would that happen on the computer? Do you know if this is true for both the DPs and the Model 12?

Thanks again!

You might also want to look in the Model 12/16/24 forum. Here's a thread from that forum with 2 posts that may help inform your decision (this, post #12, and the following post #13):
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/please-explain-this-from-the-mod-12-manual.7952/#post-38293

As David wrote, there are several different ways to work the drum tracks with the DP-24, and with the DP-24 editing is easy/straight forward.

If you browse the DP-24/32/SD forum's stickies, you'll see there's tons of helpful information and resources there for new users as well as advanced users.

I also second getting a DP-24 rather than a DP-03.

But depending on how you work, the Model 12 may be the better choice for you over either the DP-03 or the DP-24.

Last edited:
When I program drum tracks, I program in the rest measures so I drop it in at the beginning and it always lines up.

New threads

Members online