DM 3200/4800 - Windows 10 Compatibility - My Final Results

Well done and thanks for the link. The attachment seems to be buggered, can't DL that...no worries ... the 2seemy YouTube vid showed me a lot of what goes on inside. My display is still good. Was the dark Japan Display you refer to the one on eBay we chatted about? He still lists that. Def the 2seemy is the best solution if you have the real estate. I'd still have to wrap my head around a way to fit it into my 5 display array. Necessity will dictate that.
Depending on what Tascam wants to replace my dead audio monitor section, I may elect to go inside...that component is towards the back I assume. As I may have mentioned I just decided to share the LR out of the surround card and connected to a Macke Big Knob. My normal JBL or Dynaudio monitors then become part of my BlueSky 5.1 array....actually an improvement over their little LR monitors. I favor the Dyns for this swap. Who knows maybe I'll just let it ride like this. It doesn't suck :)=. I won't have to take this up until my TV season ends in May 2017.

The LCD was replaced by a highly reputable service center in Manhattan by the previous owner. I'm kind of surprised this service center didn't use the Tascam direct replacement. I say stick with the Big Knob if it works for you.

What can I say to @cmaffia and all ppl helping, this thread solved my problems, everything works perfect and I add that i also upgraded the firmware , did a normal shut down after the transfer and restarted twice the windows after Legacy driver and its really MUCH better and faster. Thank you and will refer you in my thanx whenever I release a cd :)

Reactions: cmaffia
Steinberg contacted me about the Cascade/MTC issue:

"There is some trouble with how Windows 10 handles GUI screen updates. When the "Remote Layer" is used for the Tascam, the Time code display and the VU Meter Bridge of the Tascam is operated similar to the Time code display on the computer screen. I.e. if the computer screen VU and Timedisplay stops, the Tascam's ones will stop, too.

Nevertheless we need to investigate if we can overcome this poor behavior during "drag" operations. Even in Windows 7 it was not acceptable, i.e. very jerky."

So, they know where the issue comes from now, but are still investigating how they can overcome it. Sorry that one is taking a lifetime..."

So this appears to be a Windows 10 issue that is affecting Cubase and indirectly affecting our DM's (more so in cascade mode). Not sure if this Windows 10 issue manifests itself in other DAW's. Will provide update whenever I receive the next communication.

OK. Haven't taken the Win10 plunge yet but getting ready to. Currently on Win7 64. My question, which I may have missed, is on firmware. I am currently at 1.70 from the Tascam site. From the FTP site I see 172.1 and 172.2.
Do I need to update firmware on the DM3200 first? Should I anyway? Do I step it up.. (172.1, then 172.2) from my current 1.70 or can I go right to 172.2?

Thanks!

1.70 is fine. Unless you have 2 DM3200's cascaded, you do not need to go any higher.

Thanks for documenting that cmaffia

I have been running Win 10 since it launched with no major issues on my 4800's and 3200 and can use all sample rates. I have had some issues with my SSL Sigma and ipmidi getting midi memory errors
Have you tried pulling the usb/firewire cables and reinserting I have noticed some weird lockups in Win 10 usually caused by a usb device

Another note I find strange above you say that changing sample rates on the DM doesn't change the WDM sample rate in Windows on my system when I change the sample rate in the DM windows follows suite automatically no manual change needed ..strange

Just wondering how you were arriving at your DSP latency numbers? via the IF-FW/DMmkii Control Panel, or another program?

Cheers,

I've never experienced any weird lockups in Windows 10. If you are pulling out firewire and USB cables while system is on you're playing Russian Roulette as that is a sure fire way to blow out chip sets on the DM console, especially on the IF-FW/DMmkii card.

As of yesterday, flipping to and from 88.2 to 44.1kHz with the WDM drivers is still flaky. I have to manually change the sample rate to get Media Player to play my Wav/Mp3 files. When I boot to my Windows 7 instance on the same machine, it changes automatically.

My latency numbers are referenced by both the IF-FW control panel and also the DPC Latency Checker utility with the latter being more accurate.

Reactions: Peter Batah
No issues with latest Windows Creators build and I don't know when or what fixed the cascade issue I was having but it's gone. Updated the first post with latest info.

Reactions: Arjan P
I inadvertently did the Fall Creators Windows 10 update and everything works fine. Not sure what the benefits are as I didn’t even know about it.

Reactions: Arjan P
Did a long session today with it. Just seems like a really stable environment. Be warned that these milestone updates do refresh your device settings. It renamed my “friendly name” for the slaved DM3200 USB device which has to have a different name than the master in order for the Mackie setup to work when cascading. The power management settings go to default which allows the OS to put things to sleep. I always disable that. It also changes the FireWire OHCI 1394 driver from legacy back to default. I started using it with Cubase after forgetting to change it and it didn’t give problems. I want to test performance again between those two to see if anything has improved over the years. Regardless, I’d still stick with the legacy driver.

Updated to reflect most current Windows 10 version

I’d have to check in Cubase. What I can tell you is I can monitor all project plugins in real-time while recording at 88.2kHz without a problem.

Here’s an update regarding my question about the legacy OHCI 1394 driver in the latest Fall Creators Edition of Windows 10 and if still performs better than the default driver. The answer is YES, the legacy driver still performs better. Also worth mentioning is how the latest beta has lower latency in Windows 7 than in Windows 10. I only realized it today when I had to do a dual boot to Windows 7 for older projects. Not saying the beta driver performance in Windows 10 is bad because its rock solid but compared to Win7, it could use some optimization. I wouldn’t expect RedBus to do it..... and as they say, If it’s not broke don’t fix it!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thank you for that update C. Happy Holidays! All the best to you and your Family. Peter

Hi there,

I have built a new DAW on Win 10 Pro etc.
Most activities are going fine so far, including the IEEE 1394 Microsoft Driver for my PCI StarTech FW card (curiously, the StarTech driver seems now called a Microsoft one... ).

My problem seems minor, and may certainly been solved : I cannot have the USB connection working without unplugging and plugging the USB cable back, no matter which USB port i may use. It is part of my powering on routine, actually. I could also delete the related USB driver to force reinstallation. Otherwise, sometimes, the USB connection could get back by itself and get lost later... Anyways, I am pretty sure you know that problem. What should I do? I have deactivated the power management for each USB port that I can see. I still have

Currently, I still have to configure the MIDI Machine Control with Sonar PLT as well, but I wonder why I cannot have it working like it was with my previous machine...

All tips are welcome!

@Jean-Pierre Pineau Tricky one other than make sure you allow Windows 10 to do all updates and disconnect your other USB devices other than mouse and keyboard and see where the conflict is. Also maybe your motherboard's firmware has an update to address this issue. Typically, Remote Layer MIDI control is done through the USB connection you're having issues with.

New threads

Members online