DM 3200 IF-FW/DM mkII troubles

jomamamojo

From
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Website
www.audiodups.com
Gear owned
DM 3200/IF-FW/DMmkII
Hey guys, I have a situation setting up my (new to me) DM 3200 w/ FW card into a Mac Pro (Yosemite 10.10.5) with Pro Tools 11. I have installed different drivers for the FW: 1.10, 1.21, and 1.30f10

DM 3200 firmware is 1.70, FW firmware is 1.30f10. The FW app says "device not found". In ProTools, the FW card is recognized but the Mac says no device.

While grasping at straws, I was snooping around the project settings in the DM and changed the clock source to internal to check some inputs because I couldn't get signal to Pro Tools. When I went to change the clock back to ADAT/FW I get the message "New clock source is out of range" and the clock stays internal. This, however, happened after I updated the FW driver.

I've read a lot on the subject here on the forums and have a high degree of confidence in the community. So...any ideas?

Anybody have any advice on my scenario? Can I clarify? My DM 3200 is connected to the Mac via firewire and USB. I have machine control. I cannot get signal to Pro Tools. PT recognizes the Tascam device. Routing on DM appears correct. Firewire is showing OK in SLOT 1 on DM. I have not seen the dialog "Locked" however. Do I have a Mac situation or a ProTools situation? I could really use the help. Thanks

Last edited:
If you are showing the SLOT 1 Status is - Card OK, 1394 Locked, then you should be sending signal to the Mac.

What does your IFWDMKii Control Panel say on your computer. It should give you a status of Locked, Sample rate 44.1 kHz (for example), Input Channels 32, Output Channels 32, Audio Dropouts 0. If it does not give this information, then the DM3200 and iMac are not talking to each other.

Simple solution first: restart the DM3200 and see if it confirms a handshake with the computer setting up communication. Sometimes, if changes are made, the DM will stop talking to the iMac.

Next simple solution, try a different firewire cable or check the connection. There can be a problem with the chipset if the port is broken or has been unplugged with the power on.

Next would be the driver - 1.30f10 (which is the latest version). Reinstall the driver and make sure it is getting the information from the DM3200 to the Control Panel.

I'll research ProTools and see if you need to make internal adjustments...hopefully, something simple above can make this happen.

Ok, I just replicated the same experience in Logic. You should be able to go into Audio Preferences and select the IF-FW DM mike for inputs and outputs. You might need to reboot the Protools session to establish communications between ProTools and the DM. Let me know how it's going.

Hey Dan! Thanks for the reply. The control panel app says "No device found". I've installed 1.10, 1.22, 1.30. Currently 1.22. All have returned the same message. The Tascam shows up in the DAW but the IF/FWDMKii Control Panel (Mac Pro (2008) ) says "No device found". Card status say OK in DM but there is no "1394 LOCKED"

Would I see anything in the DAW if the cable was bad?

Audio preferences have been set to IF/FWDMKii.

Also, is this a thing?

From Tascam:
IF-FW/DMmkII: Development is on-going and a version that is compliant with the new security measures will be made available as soon as possible. Please keep your system at 10.9.4 or earlier if you wish to continue to use the IF-FW/DMmkII.

Or is there a version compatible with OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

Last edited:
So, I've downloaded Disk Sensei hoping that Trim Enabler would get around some MAC security issues related to the Firewire driver situation. Didn't help. Can anyone chime in to help?

Last edited:
jomamamojo,

It sounds like you found a solution? Let me know if I can help. Happy Holidays.

Thank you! I'm awaiting arrival of the MkII. I spent so much time researching and digging through this forum lol. Hopefully all will fall in to place with the ACTUALL card installed.

OK, so I've installed the IF-FW/DMmkII. Card status says: OK 1394 says: NO CABLE. I have the latest driver installed. Even with the wrong card I never got NO CABLE. What's the deal? Could it really be the cable?

@jomamamojo What I would do is to swap expansion slots and / or try a new cable making sure not to exceed some 6 feet or so.

I thought it could only go in Slot 1. Card shows OK on DM. Please advise.

Also, I have some new cables on the way just in case it is actually IS the cable. Ordered a 6 pin to 6 pin. I also got a 6 pin to 9 pin to try the other 1394 input on the mac. The IF-FW/DMmkII driver utility (1.30f10) says "No device found".

@jomamamojo My apologies for the misinformation. It's the 4800 that can accept the expansion card into either Slot 1 or 3.

Reactions: jomamamojo
Tried a new cable that came in today. 6 pin to 9 pin. Still says "No cable" What can I do to get the Mac to see the IF-FW/DMmkII? Is there an updated driver that I have yet to try? Or a security setting in the OS that needs to be addressed?

@jomamamojo What firmware are you using? As far as the security settings go; In my case, all I did was plug in the USB and Fire Wire cable and I was good to go. Nothing special!

Firmware for DM 3200 is 1.70 (112151)
Firmware for IF-FW/DMmkII is 1.10 driver is 1.30f10
Are you saying I should unplug/replug the firewire while it's turned on?
NO NO don't do that. I meant that all I did was plug the appropriate cables into my Mac Book Pro and I was good to go! Let me check my firmware. Please standby!

Firmware for DM 3200 is 1.70 (112151)
Firmware for IF-FW/DMmkII is 1.10 driver is 1.30f10
Are you saying I should unplug/replug the firewire while it's turned on?
@jomamamojo Alright, so my 4800 Mixer: 1.72b (221173) and the IF-FW/DMmkII firmware is: v.1.20 Build 88685

New threads

Members online

No members online now.