dm 4800 effects

shelby

Gear owned
dm 4800
Hello! I am having problems getting the effects working properly on the board. I have the effects coming thru fine but want to record the effects to a track in Nuendo 5.5. I have the auxs assigned to 9/10 and 11/12 and the returns to 61 62 63 64. When I shut off the auxs I still get effects signal wet on the recorded track of Nuendo...no dry signal. Does anyone have an ideas.

Thanks

Shel :confused:

Your post is contradictory. First you say that you want to print efx onto a Nuendo track. But then you state that - despite the DM auxes being muted - wet signals persist onto those Nuendo tracks. So your question is confusing.

Essentially, if you want to record 'dry' - meaning you wish to pass un-effected signal to your DAW - you'd choose the 'Input Bypass' method. That's done by going to the Routing/Output Slot page, choosing the DM inputs (M/L#), and assigning them to the Slot Output channels routed to the Nuendo tracks.

However, from what you describe, you've instead buss/routed your DM Mike/Line inputs (M/L) DIRectly out to Nuendo. In this case, any effect, fader level, dynamic or EQ resident in a DM channel is combined with the dry signal directly to the computer. It's also possible that your DM effects aren't assigned to Auxes at all, but rather as inserts. You need to carefully check your Input/Output assignments, including the Insert page to see if that's what's happening.

There might be other routing factors as well.

CaptDan

Thanks for the reply.

So, I mix in the box-Nuendo. My goal is to

1) add effects to my headphone mixes- I got it working
2) record tracks into nuendo- with eq,comp and effects
I would like to record two tracks at the same time of say a vocal...one dry...one with verb. Cant get this working

I am running dm4800 m/L on channels 1 to 16...then external preamps from 17 to 24..via adat.....then all track to the computer via firewire.

In the output tab I have buss/direct select for my adat channels ...is this correct?

Thanks again Shel

I would like to record two tracks at the same time of say a vocal...one dry...one with verb. Cant get this working
I am running dm4800 m/L on channels 1 to 16...then external preamps from 17 to 24..via adat.....then all track to the computer via firewire.

So, you want to combine - or print a DM 'verb onto one vocal channel, send that to Nuendo - and send the same signal down another channel dry. Is that right?

In the output tab I have buss/direct select for my adat channels ...is this correct?

It's not wrong, but in that scenario, the DM fader modules are acting as the input terminal, rather than the outboard pres sending signal directly to the computer - bypassing the DM. If you want to go direct from preamp/ADC to Nuendo, you'd use the OUTPUT SLOT tab, choosing the M/L - or in your case - ADAT sources - to be assigned and routed to DAW.

From there, you can route the dry vocal track back to the DM where you can combine a 'verb onto the signal, then assign it back out to a new Nuendo track.

Make any sense?

CaptDan

Yup makes sense. But, I want to skip your last step and keep it in the box. So, when recording a vocal track....I would be actually recording into nuendo 2 tracks of the vocal... one dry and one will dm verb. Then I can blend the two or decide which one I want to use later when I mix in Nuendo.

I have the effect recording to Nuendo via aux sends 9/10 11/12 but when I shut them off and have no effect thru the channel ....the verb is still present on the recorded track. My output tabs must be set wrong or somthing in the bussing is not right. Do you the right way to set this up.

Thanks for the help

By strict definition, you're not really 'keeping it in the box.' You're sending a Nuendo track through the DM in order to obtain a DM 'verb effect. In the box means just that - the DM is merely a control/monitor surface, and all audio, efx, plugins, fader levels, and ultimately - the summed mix - is performed in the computer.

Again, use the OUTPUT SLOT tab - NOT the Output Tab - to route dry signal directly from your preamp(s), to DM's ADCs, and into Nuendo. This way, you can still monitor your input sources without stepping on the signal by adjusting anything in the DM's channel modules.

I can't say for sure what's causing the 'verb hanging; could be many things. If you have time, I'd suggest uploading your DM screenshots here - specifically the Input, Output, and Output Slots page. As you know, this can be done with TMC.

CaptDan

Here are my pics of my routing pgs. I spent two hrs trying to get it to work and no luck.

I got effects coming through the studio monitors but the fxs wont record to the track in Nuendo. (only dry) I tried M/L input bypass in the slot output pg like you suggested and didnt get effects at all.

I dont how what else to try or what step I am missing. I got the fxs to record with the inserts tab but it wont work with aux send fxs. Any other suggestions.

My goal is to record a vocal with dm verb and the same vocal dry on another track.

Thanks Shel

Attachments

• input.png
    input.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 59
  • output slot.png
    output slot.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 57
  • output.png
    output.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 54
In your output SLOT page, leave the vocal track of choice routed as 'Buss/Direct.'
Then, using the SAME ADAT source as your vocal input (I'm assuming you're doing this 'live'), go to Source Select, choose 'ADAT', and put it into another OUTPUT Slot - maybe next to the BusDirect (wet) output.

In Nuendo, pick two tracks - one you've assigned to receive 'wet' signal from (Input Source Number) - and the other to receive the dry track (ADAT/Channel Number).

Finally, pick two available DM Channel Modules to receive output from Nuendo for purposes of monitoring the results. Those would be accomplished on the INPUT page, (1st one on your list) as firewire Slots returning from Nuendo.

That should do it.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.