DM-4800 more then 32 channels to DAW

wizzywizz

Gear owned
DM4800 and DM-24 and US-1641
Dear All!

I currently have a mkii firewire installed in my dm4800 which works like a charm, but is there another way to get more then 32 channels to my DAW ? I know that stacking of two firewire cards isn't yet supported by the asio driver, but are there perhaps adat expansion cards with more then 1 (in/out) connection or perhaps other ways to get 48 channels to my PC?
There are 4 expansion slots available. Incl. the built in adat I could get 5 adats to my pc, but that would only give me 40 channels, right? I was hoping to get 48.

Any other ways to go about this?

Thanks in advance!!

WizzWizz

You don't mention which DAW you're using. But most I'm aware of will accept only one ASIO device at a time. So you have to choose - 32 channel I/O - or - dump the firewire and use something else.

A pair of RME cards (or some equivilent design with ample I/O), using a combination of TDIF and ADAT would probably get you the 48 tracks you desire, but not necessarily at higher sample rates. ADAT can only handle 48kz, or the I/O is reduced by 50% with sample rates of 88.2 & 96kz.

Bear in mind, the DM series boards were intended as companions for the X48 HD recorders. You could always consider something like that- working in tandem with your DAW.

As always, if somebody has a better suggestion, I'll amend my guesses accordingly.

CaptDan

captdan said:
A pair of RME cards (or some equivilent design with ample I/O), using a combination of TDIF and ADAT would probably get you the 48 tracks you desire,
Should work. RME HDSP 9652 has 3xADAT I/O and you can plug in 2 TDIF expansion boards. Pair of these 4 DM's ADAT cards and your I/O with DM-4800 will be:
3 x TDIF
5 x ADAT
2 x SPDIF
Total of 68 channels.

captdan said:
but not necessarily at higher sample rates. ADAT can only handle 48kz, or the I/O is reduced by 50% with sample rates of 88.2 & 96kz.
DM's ADAT cards don't support 88.2/96k ... unlike the internal ADAT, which does.

captdan said:
'Internal ADAT?' You mean the 'hard wired' DM ADAT ports?
I mean the ADAT port you can find located on the back panel of the DM.

Sorry ... 'internal' was not the right word. English is my 3:rd language.

Hi there!

Wow. Thanks for all the tips everyone!! I rarely record in 96kHz/ 88kHz. Mostly 48kHz, so that's not a problem for me.

I will look into the RME suggestion.

Great tips!

Kind regards,

WizzyWizz

New threads

Members online