DM3200 with Qlab

Dan Knight

Gear owned
DM 3200
Hi there,

I work at a theatre where we have a DM3200 as our front FOH mixer. We also use Qlab on a mac for playing audio cues (backing tracks, SFX etc) The DM has a firewire card fitted, so I'm interested in whether the DM's transport buttons could be used to control playback in Qlab. Has anyone had any success with this? If so, erm….how?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about Qlab or theater applications, but the DM can send out MIDI through the USB connection and/or the physical MIDI ports. In fact, it's how many of us control our DAW software for location and transport functions. So, it should be possible for sure..

The FW card is for 32-channel audio in and out, BTW.

Thanks Arjan. Having had a look the FOH mac doesn't have a firewire port anyway, so I'll try using MIDI - USB

@Dan Knight : just remember there will be NO sound going through the usb connection. It's for midi purposes only. If you wish to play sound from the Mac, you need to connect its line out to the DM. The 2track (labeled 2TR IN on the back) is best suited for that.
You could use an adapter for the firewire card if the Mac has Thunderbolt.

Cheers Marvel. Yes, the DM is already connected to the MAC for audio playback. I just want to get the DM's transport to talk to the playback controls on Qlab, effectively turning the play button on the DM into a 'go' command.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.