Dm4800 cubase and ext efx

blue box

Gear owned
DM 4800
Hi everyone. I use a DM4800 with firewire card and cubase. I would like to use External FX in cubase. Can someone show me the right connections? I've connected my ext hardware to an analog card Ins/Outs on DM4800. Thanks.

@blue box Personally, I have not used external hardware / effects. But, I am sure that this may have been discussed here on the forum. Some points of interest:

This taken from the manual.

External effects can be looped through the assignable
analog sends and returns (the returns can then be
assigned to channels), or kept in the digital domain
by using the stereo digital I/O facilities.

There are also analog inserts associated with each
mic/line input, which allow additional processors to
be inserted, before the DA converters. These insert
points can also be used to bypass the DM-4800’s
internal mic amps and patch in external mic amps.

I found this to be very useful as well. Thank you @Rockum

@Peter Batah I think blue box is talking about sending a track out of Cubase through the DM into an external effect and send the return of that effect back through the DM back to Cubase to record. It is not quite the same as external effects (as applied to a channel) from the mixer's point of view.

@blue box You'll have to connect the outgoing firewire channels from Cubase to the outgoing channels of the analog card. And ofcourse the other way around. In fact you want to connect output of the analog card to inputs of the firewire card and vice versa. For this you must be at the Output Slot screen(s).

@Arjan P Thank you for that clarification. Was @blue box referring to the Tascam Analog expansion card

Last edited:
Yes, I would like to use 3 ext exf ( that I've connected to DM4800 slot 2 analog card) in cubase.
I've assigned Ch 41 to 46,they work in DM4800 but I'm not able to route them in cubase.
Thanks guys

Take the returns from the effects and connect them to channels on the FW card in the Output Slot screen (I'm not sure how this is with an analog expansion, but you need the Output Slot screen of the IFFW).

On the left are the 32 channels of the IFFW in groups of 8. In the middle you select which group of 8 you want to see. On the right are the possible inputs to these channels, so here you can filter to Slot 2 and then select the analog inputs you want to use on the left. So let's say you want to use FW channels 27-32 to go to Cubase, then in the middle select 25-32 and on the left connect the analog inputs to positions 3-8 (which are in fact channels 27-32).

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.