DP-24SD and my pedal board

pevsfreedom

Hi,

I searched around a bit and could simply not find a reasonable answer to this question, sorry if it's erroneous at all.

I am thinking of buying a DP-24SD. I have the typical pedalboard and combo amp set-up right now. I do not really want a microphone, which I had before for recording but had a lot of issues with.

My question is:

Can I plug in my pedalboard (wah>fuzz>tube screamer>delay>looper) directly, or indirectly, to the DP-24SD and have it sound good? Would I need a direct inject box or re-amp?

How would this work? Guitar > pedal board > Tascam, or Guitar > Tascam > Effects send/return thru the pedal board?

Any info before I buy is appreciated!

Last edited:
The sound that many guitarists like is the sound made by the speaker in the guitar amp. This speaker is so far from a ”normal”, ”hifi” speaker one can imagine that it is crucial to how we perceive how an electric guitar ”should” sound like. That’s why it - for most - is crucial to capture the sound of the guitar/effects/amp via the speaker. Previously this could only be done with a microphone but today other solutions are available.
You could take the direct out from the amp, if available, send the signal to an IR pedal and from that direct in to the Tascam, thus getting the ”imperfect” speaker sound chosen in the IR pedal. Perhaps something like TC Electronic’s Impulse.

TC-Electronic-IMPULSE-IR-LOADER-980x980.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
The DP's 8 x 1/4" input sockets are for line-level signals and the XLR sockets are for mic-level signals, but the H 1/4" input (only) has an additional option to switch it into 'guitar' mode. This makes it behave like the high input impedance of a standard guitar amp, so whatever you would plug directly into an amp should work with this input without degrading the signal, although as Logrinn said, this won't necessarily be the same sound as you get from the amp's speaker as you are bypassing any colouration from the amp, cabinet and speaker. The DP's built-in effects can be used to re-introduce colouration but it's not guaranteed to be exactly the same... it could be better or worse depending what you're after.

If you use the send/return loop, the send outputs are line-level so you may have to be careful not to overload the inputs of the first pedal/device in the chain. The DP has controls for adjusting the send levels down to zero, but I've not driven pedals this way so don't know if there are any issues such as impedance mis-matches.

pevsfreedom. I record direct from my pedals (Boss ME 80) straight into my DP24 SD without any problems, just watch your input levels. I use any of the inputs because input H (Guitar/Line) does say in the manual If using this channel for guitar with external effects do not switch to "Guitar", keep it switched to "Line" The same applies to any guitar with it's own battery. Hope this helps.

Get a NUX Solid Studio. Amazing D.I. power amp+speaker+mic sim Impulse Response loader. Super configurable.

Have fun with preamps... That is very personal!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.