DP-32 EQ settings for drums

Jmulls248

Gear owned
TASCAM DP-32SD
Greetings and Happy New Year to all...

I was curious if anyone had some suggested EQ settings for recording a drum set. I have been using a flat setting for my recordings, and then adjusting the final sound as a whole. I would really like to try using the EQ feature on each channel, but I have to admit I am very new at recording, and have no idea where to start. I have been looking online for suggestions of any kind, at least for a starting point, but I have not been successful. If anyone has some settings that they'd be willing to share, or suggested webpages for me to go look at, I would be extremely grateful...

Thanks

If anyone could devise an EQ setting that worked for every bass drum, every snare, every rack of toms, every set of overheads and every drummer that might be playing any given kit, they could sell those settings and retire.

But nobody can. All you can do is listen hard. Do some reading on where "boominess," "mud," and "ring" live on the spectrum and then try adding and cutting until you like what you hear. Keep in mind that a bass drum that sounds great by itself might sound lame with the rest of the kit, or with the track, and that too much additive EQ will cause phase issues.

Just do what legendary engineer Al Schmitt said about how he mixed a record. "I just turn the knobs until it sounds good." Forget the numbers and use your ears.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.