-mjk-

Staff member
From
Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Website
phoenixmediaforge.com
Gear owned
DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in a fully functional DP-32 with 2 approved 32GB SD cards plus footswitch?

maybe.......shipping to Australia might be the deal breaker, but, what sort of price? maybe use US $

Australia is not that far from Taiwan.

Since I have the footswitch, 2 approved SD cards, and the unit has MIDI (and if you gotta have MIDI, this is the only one to get) the price is going to be near a new DP-32SD, which is a cheaper model than the DP-32 was originally. The non SD model is holding it's value because of the MIDI (the on-board CD burner isn't bad either).

I put this out there to see what the response might be, but after more consideration, it might be a bad idea to sell it.

haha thats how you find your true feelings .

I just sold a pedal for $300.....thinking I should've kept it lol

glad to be of service !

Reactions: -mjk-
Lol, too funny. If I could get $450 USD I would sell it with the switch and cards. But that's probably crazy to some. It wouldn't be worth that without the MIDI capability though.

-mjk- Did you ever break down and sell your DP-32? I have the exact same unit (midi, CD, foot switch) and was thinking if letting it go as I just don't use it anymore. Just curious if you kept your unit or not. Not sure if there is still a market for the original DP-32 or not.

@Steven L. Stevens I kept it because of its value to me as a remote recorder. I've used it on location several times and you can't beat it for a large, portable 8 channel recorder.

I also use it to rip CDs to lossless wav files. Very useful if you have a sound FX library on CD and want to put them on the PC. I don't have a CD player in my car so I rip my audio CDs and put them on my phone.

There is a market for the original units because of their MIDI capability. So if you let it go, don't settle on a low price. There are DP users out there who would kill for MIDI ports.

Reactions: Tom Boyles
@-mjk- and @Steven L. Stevens -- I couldn't agree more about the MIDI ports. So yes, there is still a market for a DP-32. If you look in Reverb.com, there are a plethora of listings for the DP-32SD but seldom listings for the DP-32. (They seem to get sold quick!)

I used a 2488neo for years for remote recording and then decided to switch to the DP-32SD for faster transfers between Portastudio to computer. Then I hugely missed the MIDI ports and ended up getting a DP-32.

I even purchased a Yamaha YMC10 (thanks to Phil's awesome guide for getting MIDI on a track on the DP-32SD) before I purchased the DP-32. Although this works very well... the DP-32 is an easier solution. :D

I stayed with my 2488neo for easily 10 years longer that I meant to, because I "missed out" on the MIDI-capable DP-32...by the time I was ready to move up, the DP-32SD had replaced it, which we all know was a MAJOR "shark jump" for Tascam.
JUST this year, I managed to locate a mint-condition DP-32 at a great price, and jumped on it like a politician on a kneecap-sucking photo-op. I also acquired the terrific RC-3F footswitch AND a coupla SanDisk mega-high-speed 32GB cards. Am LOVIN' it...although my 2488neo is still in the stable...

Last edited:
@shredd I used my follower network to find me one and I got mine from The Netherlands in 2018. I got a new pedal from Japan that was very cheap.

Be sure to update that firmware! Mine was not current when I got it.

Reactions: shredd
Be sure to update that firmware! Mine was not current when I got it.
Yup...same with mine - it was still on the 1.00 version, something like 8 years after it was made!!!:eek:
Is now at the current/latest version, works great.
Funny too - after going on 2 decades of pretty steady studio work, it's only been the last couple/few years that I've adopted/integrated MIDI into the rig. I always knew about it, but never dove in/implemented. Talk about troglodyte-style...

That's superkewl you were able to source one through your contacts.
I wanted one for quite a few years (during which time they skyrocketed in price, because no one wanted the DP-xxSD, but that's all there was)...and eventually, just this year I happened on one that was in mint condition (I'd accept nothing less) and was a pretty good deal too.
Got a great deal on a brand-new RC-3F, and scored a couple of top-shelf super-fast 32GB SD's. I'm cookin' w/gas. Good times.:cool::D

@shredd, so, get hot on the tunes!

so, get hot on the tunes!
Hehee...thanks for the encouragement! Despite stoopid/typical life obstacles, I've gotten a little busier on it in the last little while.
Even exported some unfinished projects from my 2488neo to continue with on the DP; and even took some REAALLLLLLY old stuff I'd done (in a DECIDEDLY amateurish fashion!!!) and did "remasters", without any new tracking.
Some stuff on my y/tube and S/Click pages.

Last edited:
@shredd, I'm looking forward to hearing your stuff man.

I appreciate that you are being humble and self-deprecating for humorous purposes, but dude, you are not stupid by any means! Here, I'll instantly prove that I've done something far more stupid than you ever have:

I did a 55 piece orchestra that hired a bus and catering. I had over 70 people in the studio and we worked all day on several of their tunes that were going to be pressed into an actual vinyl album (this was the 80s).

We had a great take of one tune but there was a small section with some terrible noise that was very transient and the timing was so close to the audio that it could not be manually muted with the console (no automation in that studio).

Instead of doing the safe thing (something reversible), which would have been to use a white grease pencil and mark the section start/end and then use the 2" tape editing block and simply put a short piece of leader tape, I decided to do what I had successfully done hundreds of times before - actually do a very short punch-in/out erase on the master tape. I had a great deal of experience with this machine (a 3M M79, probably the fastest punching 2" machine in history). Punching in with this machine had become intuitive.

In my haste/confidence/arrogance I neglected to check the mode I was in. Normally when I do that I'm in overdub mode meaning that you are using the Record head for both playing back and recording. I was in playback mode and therefore the timing was off due to the gap between the playback head and the record head.

The punch-in/out went perfectly and I erased a section of the audio I wanted to keep rather than the noise. I played back the tape at the section before the punch in and heard the offending noise immediately precede a beautiful silent spot on the tape, right where the audio started after the noise. I looked at the machine and yup, it was in playback mode. I wanted to resign.

For the record, the 3M M79 does not have a Control-Z key.

So, @shredd, have you ever destroyed someone's record?

They had another, lower res recording of the tune and I flew that section in, live. To me it sounded terrible but the client was gracious. I offered to personally pay for the re-record session but he blew it all off as nothing.

I hope this has made you feel better about yourself @shredd. Now I'm going to my studio and purposefully erase something in Reaper as penance.

I appreciate that you are being humble and self-deprecating for humorous purposes
Hehee...yes...and, I'm also that way just to remind myself (and others?) that letting your "I'm a great musician" head get too big just means you'll fall down a lot.
I useta play 'open-mic' in my little town, when it was a kewl place...every Thursday night, for years. It was run by a sports-pal of mine, who detested that - he'd do his opening introduction by inviting any and all to play, adding the caveat: "no self-deprecating musicians allowed"!!!:p...this was actually directed at the most insecure amateurs who'd get up on stage and actually apologize for how bad they thought they were!!!
So, @@shredd, have you ever destroyed someone's record?
Wow...that's a beauty of a story, spiced up considerably by the technology of the times!
No...I've never ruined someone else's recordings...but lawd knows I've done it to MYSELF enough times. Even WITH the marvels of modern studio technology. But at least no one was paying me for the expected results!!!:eek:

Last edited:
That particular FUBAR never occurred again. I realized later that with 24 tracks I had enough room on the 2" tape to have recorded not 1, but 2 complete sets of backup tracks, but I was literally too inexperienced at that time to record multiple tracks of the same thing. The way the tracks lined up in rows of 8 it would have been very easy to do and to keep track of. Lesson learned.

Aww, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me on the forums :)

New threads

Members online