DP24SD and Monitor Tascam VL-S3?

mariusvideo

From
Italy
Gear owned
DP24SD, DP03-SD
I am thinking to buy a couple of studio monitors for my superproductions with DP24 but my budget is low (the DP24SD is arrived this mounth) and I have the possibility to buy the Tascam VL-S3 at a good price, I like Tascam brand, for me and my eyes may be a good idea to have a Tascam portable home studio, but the ears must be pleasured too...I have not the opportunity to listen the VL-S3, someone got them or have experienced the sound?

Reactions: Dunny
I have Mackies CR4 got them for about 100 pounds , check them out very cost effective , depending on what part of the woods you are in that is .

Reactions: mariusvideo
I like the Mackies CR4, I have seen this product on various e-shop,
here in Italy the best price is 119,00€ (the same in pounds more or less)
Do you think is a good solution for (homerecording) mixing? I'd like to listen It.

The design is nice but I prefer standard colors like black, gray or wood. I think they should produce the same line without flashy colors :D

This model has superior features and than the Tascam SL-V3 and the price is only of 20€ up the Tascam ad isolation pads are included.

mackie-cr4coppia-3.jpg

mackie-cr4coppia-2.jpg

Last edited:
I got the isolation pads as well with the unit , if the price is much the same i would go with the units you prefer , i have not used the tascam monitors , but if they are tascam and anything like there recording gear they will be high quality , i looked at some Yamaha monitors but they where a little out of my price range $ at the end of the day you will probably not get the priveldge to try both monitors out together and compare , so you may have to go on looks and reviews

Some things to keep in mind when choosing speakers as a recording tool:
(1) You need to consider whether you want the speakers as a monitoring tool during tracking and overdub; as a reference tool for mixdown/mastering, or both.

(2) Another thing you need to consider is the instruments and type of music you'll be working with. This interactive chart will help with that:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Using the TASCAM VL-S3 as an example, its FR is stated as 80Hz~22kHz (but without a stated +/- x dB in relation to the standard 1kHz reference point). Without the stated reference point and variance it's hard to judge how accurately the speakers will yield a recording that will sound good on other playback systems. (i.e. 80Hz~22kHz +/- 2 dB referenced to 1kHz is great - this is a flat, neutral response; 80Hz~22kHz +/- 10 dB referenced to 1kHz - not so much - there's wide variation, and that will color unnaturally and in unkown ways your mixing/master recordings.)

For example, use the interactive chart and compare various instruments and voices to the stated FR for the VL-S3. You can see that the VL-S3 will not reproduce the lowest notes on a bass instrument, although it will pick up the higher overtones/harmonics of the lowest notes; but it will cover a guitar and vocals nicely if there's reasonable variation around the 1kHz reference point.

Last edited:
@Mark Richards thank you for you accurate response, We should ask to Tascam the specifications of FR
I have seen other models and brands then I can evaluate using your suggestions.
I play guitar, classical and electric in my music but I can record or use synths, drums etc...various instruments and various genres of music, normally I create instrumental music, rarely I record the voice. I want to choice well the monitors and in general my instruments.
Actually I am working with the Creative T20 Mk1...

@Mark Richards

I am still looking for the right model of studio monitor and now my attention is focused on this entry level model but with nice features, Fluid Audio C5W.

I have readed the characteristics and the story of this brand and I like their philosophy.

What do you think about this model/brand?
These are the technical data of this model:

Specifications
• Frequency response: 54 Hz – 22 kHz (+/-3dB)
• Crossover frequency: 4.5 kHz
• Amplifier power: 2 x 20 watts (40W total)
• Signal-to-noise: > 90 dB (typical A-weighted)
• Polarity: Positive signal at + input produces outward LF one displacement
• Input impedance: 20 k ohms balanced, 10 k ohms unbalanced
• Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 85dBA output SPL @ one meter with volume control at maximum (97dB Max SPL)
• Power: Fixed 110V ~50/60 Hz or 220V~50/60 Hz
• Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over
temperature, turn-on/off transient and subsonic filter
• Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated MDF
• Size (single monitor): 256 x 174 x 193 mm (HxWxD)
• Weight (pair): 9.5 lbs. / 4.3 kg
fluidaudioc5w-3.jpg

fluidaudioc5w-2.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Fluid Audio brand, but my general experience with the 5"/1"ported form factor is they can tend to be a bit muddy because while you can't hear the lowest bass, those harmonics can intrude on the low midrange. (If you refer to the interactive chart I referenced, click on "Bass" on the left side of the chart and read the interactive boxes on the right.) The 4.5 kHz crossover, while necessary to accommodate the 1" tweeter, means the 5" speaker is handling the bulk of the music, while the tweeter is only handling the high frequency overtones (just one more thing to consider).

My suggestion is to use your current speakers while you get familiar with your porta studio, and save up for better/larger speakers. If you have decent open-back headphones (like the $80US Grado SR60; not the "entertaining"/"celebrity" consumer trash), you can get by with those too while getting up to speed with your unit.

Stick to well known name brands that make near-field monitor speakers (Tannoy, JBL, Focal, etc). Exchange emails/chats/phone calls with knowledgable sales staff at reputable pro gear businesses available to you where you live (like Full Compass or Sweetwater that we have here in the U.S.).

As an alternative you might want to go old school and consider pairing good passive speakers (Auratone 5C Cubes, if space is limited, come to mind) and a decent integrated stereo amplifier.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
I appreciate a lot your suggestions.
I have a budget to spend for max 150,00€ then I should choice the best quality/price in the entry level market, until this moment, considering the features declared by the producer, the Fluid Audio C5W has the best value for money, my price is about 135,00€ shipping fees included for the couple.

mariusvideo, based only on the specs for the C5W, they do seem like they have a very good spec/price ratio. They should give you much better near-field results at your mixing position than you would get with 3" or even 4" speakers. As a starting point you might want to try placing them at ear level about 1.5 - 2.0 meters apart horizontally, and and about 1.5 meters from each speaker to your mixing position (an equilateral triangle is the ideal, unless the owner manual advises otherwise). Please post your impressions once you're up and running. Best of luck.

Last edited:
The monitors are arrived and I am testing and positioning them, first impressions are two, precise reproduction I don't ear exagerate basses then other frequencies are well present, I have the impression to be on the stage to listen the musicians playng, the voice come out clean but not colored of mid-freq, the second good impression is the silence of the amplifier very clean, I am listening variuos songs and I am discovering some little things that I have never heard before...after a period of warm-up I will tell you my experience with the C5W.

New threads

Staff online

Members online