DR-05X whine when recording

AC Rempt

Gear owned
DR-)5X
Hello,

I'm a total novice when it comes to digital recording, so I bought a DR-05X to experiment with. I've only had it a month, and I started to get a high-pitched whine on all my recordings. It wasn't there before, so I've tried to play with all the settings to see if I could make it go away, but no luck.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Are you using battery power, USB bus power, or an AC adapter?
Are you recording using a microphone? What microphone?
Or are you connecting other equipment (line in)? What is your setup?

Sometimes you'll get a whine if you have a grounding issue.
Some components have a "ground lift" switch to fix the problem, or you can try using an ac plug three pin to two pin adapter to lift the ground on one of the components.
Just a guess...

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Using batteries and not using any other mics. I've taken the recorded all over to see if there was some issues with interference at my house, but same result. I may have a lemon.

If you are using batteries and the internal mics that eliminates any possible direct cause of noise (like ground loops, etc.).

And since you’ve tried recordings in many locations with no change, that eliminates external interference as the cause.

It looks like the recorder is simply broken. It should definitely be covered under warranty.

I would try one more thing: Initiallize the recorder to set it back to factory settings (page 13 in the Reference Manual), and then
put it completely back to factory CONDITION by removing the batteries for a long time (about two hours). That completely resets the internal memory.
Then install a fresh set of batteries. The recorder should act like the first time you turned it on (you’ll be prompted to set the clock, etc.).

If the whine is still there you’ll have to contact TASCAM about a warranty replacement.

I did all that was suggested, and whine persists, so off to ask for a warranty replacement. Bleh.

Here is the fix..
Disassembly >>

this shows the exact problem which I encountered and the fix too...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.