DR44wl - record mics and inputs at the same time

dazzathedrummer

Gear owned
DR-44wl
Hi,

I've had the above recorder for a couple of years now and really like it.

For the past couple of rehearsals with my band I've needed to DI the bass into one of the XLR's to record in addition to the built in mics.

The first time I tried it I selected the wrong recording mode (MTR) - this recorded the two mics plus the 1st XLR as selected, but I only got 1 hour before getting a maximum file size error.

The second time I made sure I was in 4CH mode, but I was unable to select either of channels 3 and 4 to record without de-selecting channels 1 and 2.

How can I set the recorder to record channels 1, 2, & 3 (and 4 if needed) at the same time?
(I'm recording to MP3 as the these are for rough references).

Thanks,
Darren

If you thought you were in 4CH mode, there is no further need to select either of 3 or 4 to record. And you wouldn't be able to deselect 1 & 2 while in 4CH mode, that's why it's called 4CH. Other wise back up a step and change from 4CH mode to something else. Then drop to the second row and change the source to suit you.

For 1,2, 3, 4 - Mode must be 4CH. Then, adjust your Source (second row on the display under REC MODE). It has 3 available settings (if your firmware is at least v2.11 when they introduced EXT INDEPENDENT recording.

A) EXT IN - input level adjustment for 3 & 4 are tied together as a pair.
Your input levels are controlled by pressing 3/4 SOLO once to bring up the level scale and use the side button to adjust.

B) EXT INDEP - Independent - level adjustment for 3 & 4 are separate steps.
Press 3/4 SOLO once to bring up the level scale and the little display will show "EXT Rch LVL:" Make your adjustments for the Right channel. Press 3/4 SOLO again – before it times out – and it will show the Left channel: "EXT Lch LVL:" You can toggle back and forth by pressing 3/4 SOLO to switch the channel you are adjusting, until you are satisfied with both channels. Then let the function time out.

C) EXT IN 1 – There is your single external recording on CH3, which is the left side XLR, labeled on the case as L. You can't pick 3 or 4. It's 3.

As for recording time, you didn't mention the size of your SD card. A 16 GB should be more than enough and then some. Check the durations in the owners manual.

> ... 3/4 SOLO...

What menu is that, Art? There's no 3/4 SOLO on my DR-44WL [v2.11 0127].

Wrong forum, maybe?

Thanks for the detailed reply Art!

I’ll have a more detailed look tomorrow but I had it in ‘dual’ mode in order capture a -12dB backup - when I disengage ‘Dual’ mode I can select all four channels.

Last edited:
Just found on page 26 of the manual...

“You cannot select multiple tracks for the source in dual recording”

It’s a little bit ambiguous but it explains why I can only choose 1 & 2 as a stereo file or 3 but not 1, 2 & 3.

I guess I’ll have to use the level control instead (or measure the input and adjust manually - I’m usually away from the unit playing drums).

Anyone had any problems using WiFi? I’ve had the unit crap out a couple of times and missed recordings - I’ve upgraded the firmware since then so maybe I’ll give it another go

I think I must have had too much on my mind and totally missed that you have a DR-44WL. My tips are for a DR-40. My apologies.

> ... Anyone had any problems using WiFi?

Yes. Very unreliable - if not entirely unsuccessful. Few appear to find it useful. Search the forum for "DR-44WL WiFi".

New threads

Members online

No members online now.