File error when loading a song

alan1259

Gear owned
Taascam DP-32SD
Hello:
I was working on a song and had made about six tracks. I was working on the next track and as soon as I went into record from the pre record I received an error message that said write error. the machine froze up so I turned off then back on. When I went to the menu and tried to load the song I keep getting a file error message and cannot bring up the song. I did notice that the song now says it has 1.2 GB....prior to this it only had 320 mb of space..I think this must have something to do with why I cannot access the file but have no idea how to solve the problem. the manuel says to turn machine on and off which I have done several times. Then it says to contact tascam if that doesn't work...I was wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and what a viable solution would be and if I will ever be able to retrieve the song I had spent several hours working on.
Thanks

Alan,

I've never had this error on my DP-24, but the first thing I'd do is to power the DP off, then swap the SD card with another, even if it's the one that came with the unit, and power back on. If the unit powers up normally, and you can access the song(s) on the other card, the unit itself is OK, and the issue is with the SD card you were using.

Next, I'd take the SD card with this song on it, and insert it into a computer to see if you can read it. If you can, I'd move all the files on the card off to a folder on the computer, and then format the card. After formatting in the computer, put the card back into your DP, and format it there from the menu.

Next, have a look at the folder on your computer containing the song files, and see if there's an obvious file error or sign of file corruption. You can move all the songs except the one that crashed back to the SD card, and put it back in the DP, again testing to insure you can access, playback, and all functions work as expected.

If all the above works, I'd suspect the song file itself. On a Windows PC, you can access the individual track files (which will all be in WAV format), and play them with the Windows media player. That might be a way to weed out an individual file that got corrupted, and caused the fault. Worst case, you can create a new song, then import the good (properly working) track files to the new song, and minimize the amount you'll need to do over.

That's how I'd approach the troubleshooting...I would not be surprised if the above steps get you back up and running in minimal time.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice...I was able to find the problem when I loaded the SD card in my computer. I deleted what I suspected was the corrupted file. when I put it back into the DP32 the song loaded as normal.

Reactions: Gravity Jim
Excellent results and I too learned something from it even though I do not have any of these devices.

That's great news, Alan...now you can go back to enjoying your DP!

I just had the same situation. First, I backed-up all file folders and files to my pc. Then through my PC connection, I went into the folder of the specific song with the issue and noticed the last two "ZZ.WAV" files had no size, 1 KB. By sorting files by date, I could see the latest. I removed them from the board's SD Card and reopened the song and it worked.

Reactions: Josh Brokaw
Here to report that in 2023, the steps in the previous comment work for me when the Portastudio shows 1) "Write Error" during recording and then 2) locks you out of the song you were working in.

I put the SD card straight into the laptop (Windows 10), and typically the last "ZZ" file or two created is going to show as 0 KB. Delete the empty files; eject the card safely and insert the card back into the Tascam, power on, and the song loads without issue.
Happy recording!

Thanks @Josh Brokaw. Now you have to address the issue itself or it will keep happening.

That's my project tonight. Previously, that fix was enough to keep going, but I'm now getting repeat 'write errors' on this file. This is the first batch of recordings I've been using virtual tracks, or autopunch. As the songs get larger, I presume the chance for error increases.
Any specific recommendations of threads with answers to this problem?

a
I'm now getting repeat 'write errors' on this file...Any specific recommendations..
That's why we created the stickies pinned at the top of this forum. ;)
Details on this issue, the causes, and the fixes can be read in the "New Members Please Read" and the "Equipment Related Tips" sticky threads .

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.