Flipping faders in banks of 8 channels

waterstrum

Veteran
Gear owned
dm
My old mixing board allowed me to flip faders in banks of eight.
I could have 1-8 on layer one and 9-16 on layer two.. etc.

I really miss this functionality.

I've been checking out the encoder mode, but it doesn't seem to address this.
Is there a way to do it?

I'm probably missing an obvious solution.
Thanks

I'm having trouble perceiving the advantage and why you'd wish to have that capability. More often than not, engineers prefer to keep as many faders on one layer as possible, rather than splitting them into smaller groups which require more frequent layer swaps.

Please fill us in.

CaptDan

I'm usually using all three of the layers for mixing.
I have each 24 channel layer and the third 16 channel layer all mapped to specific sources.
I'm using groups of 8 or 16 channels that are logically related.
It would be very useful to be able to flip groups of 8 channels to avoid the frequent layer swaps that you mentioned.
I find myself constantly flipping back and forth between layers.
On my old mixer, I could flip the individual banks of 8 for "mix specific" situations.
That way, I could have the relevant channels at hand without having to do the big Layer Swap.... back and forth etc.
E.G. I'd like to have the drum layer and the Bg vocals up at the same time...
They are on different layers, but it would be nice to be able to have them both up on one layer.
I know I could map them that way, but then I'm locked in to that map and more layer swaps if I want to have other combinations.
I'm not sure if my explanation makes sense.
It may be very specific to the way I work.
Thanks

Okay, I understand.

Well, I don't know of a way to do this in a manner you describe (maybe somebody else does, though.) However, there's an option: program the encoders to control levels in alternate layers.

For example: you've got 8 drum faders on layer #1. You want to call up a stack of vocals on layer #2. Instead of switching layers, you balance the faders on your drum layer, while accessing the Vox channels on the encoders, which you've set to act as faders on those specific inputs.

It's not the same process you describe, but it's a very close second. Check the manual for encoder programming; those knobs are quite powerful. :)

CaptDan

Okay, I understand.

Well, I don't know of a way to do this in a manner you describe (maybe somebody else does, though.) However, there's an option: program the encoders to control levels in alternate layers.

For example: you've got 8 drum faders on layer #1. You want to call up a stack of vocals on layer #2. Instead of switching layers, you balance the faders on your drum layer, while accessing the Vox channels on the encoders, which you've set to act as faders on those specific inputs.

It's not the same process you describe, but it's a very close second. Check the manual for encoder programming; those knobs are quite powerful. :)

CaptDan

New threads

Members online