FW-1082 on Win 10

Windows 10, the legacy driver isn't an option when I go into device manager and try to manually apply the drivers to the pci card, and I don't know the chipset at the moment. I looked at the model I bought online and it doesn't say Texas Instruments or TI anywhere so it probably isn't. Another question: why is the TI chipset the only one that works with the legacy drivers?

Last edited:
No the "Legacy" driver is not an option. You have to install the Legacy driver.
Its all in my tutorial and in threads others have posted.
The Texas Instruments chipsets are the only ones that have worked consistently;.
Why? I don't know.
There is a "tool" that detects the chipset of your firewire interface here. Scroll to the bottom
of the page. I haven't tested it in Win 10.

T

I have installed the legacy drivers but they are not available for my device.

The Legacy firewire driver is used by Windows 10 to communicate to your internal PC firewire hardware - not your FW1082. So this one will still need a driver.

Sorry for the delay
1. I understand there is two separate drivers, one for each device. I have installed both drivers. However, when I go to device manager, I select the pcie firewire interface, I go to properties to see which driver is being used, I see that the one being used is NOT the legacy, I go to change the driver and of the list of available drivers, the legacy driver is not one of them.
2. I installed windows 7, however, I get the same error, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.
3. Have not purchased a pcie firewire interface with TI chipset, is it needed for windows 7 as well? Because I'm no longer using hardware/software compatible with older devices and the TI chipset is only for legacy drivers correct?

I must be the exception then. VIA VT6308 FW working great with the IF-FW/DM mkII.

Arjan is running the DM-3200; were the drivers for this device written by Frontier?
The drivers for the FW series are all a Frontier collaboration.
All I can say definitively is that users have always reported "best" results with the TI chip.
T

I just ordered an FW-1082 (it is on the way), and I already have a separate FireWire PCIE card (VIA VT6307 ) that I was using with a Presonus FP10. Windows 10 recognized the card right away after I installed it, without me having to do anything. The FP10 worked flawlessly the entire year I used it (it is sitting in storage now). The Presonus forums were adamant that I HAD to use a TI FireWire card, or the FP10 would not work at all - and they were 100% wrong.

When I get the Tascam unit, I will post an update as to how the process goes. I anticipate no problems. If my VIA VT6307 card works with the unit right away, I will post a link to where I bought the card from, so that others can have the same success I did.

So, the FW-1082 is here... and after only 10 minutes of messing with it, I got it connected. No issues. The aforementioned FireWire card/chipset works fine. I got it working with full functionality in Adobe Audition in Mackie control mode after about half an hour. I love the thing!

I can see why there are what people would consider connectivity issues. It has to be powered on in a certain sequence. 1st, computer. After full boot-up, then start the Soft_LCD software. Then, turn on the Tascam. I did this sequence about 20 times, and it never failed to work.

This sequence only works on a full shutdown. If you restart your computer (or it restarts for some reason), this sequence may not work. I could not get it to work but only 1/3 of the time on restart - but 100% of the time on full shutdown. Therefore, I would recommend full shutdown when/if experiencing any issues.

The Soft_LCD software is obviously a component that is essential. It serves as a software version of what would be an LCD message screen on, let's say, a Mackie MCU Control Surface. It can (when your 1082 has full functionality w/ your DAW) tell you your pan levels, volume levels, track names and other parameter levels for the bank of tracks selected. It is a useful piece of software, actually.

This is the link for the pcie FireWire card I bought and that I use with Windows 10 64-bit in this 'tutorial': VIA FireWire Card

Speaking for myself, the thing about the start-up orders, and any tricks learned along the way to get these FW-1884/1082 (and I imagine the FW rack unit too), is that what has worked reliably for a period of time, ends up not working reliably anymore. At one time, I couldn't get my FW unit connected at all, the the SoftLCD applet when brought up 1st, would connect to Tascam every time, when not brought up, no connection, brought up & then connection. This seemed to be something that could 100% recreate whether this worked, or not worked. Then one day that stopped doing the trick (though I still do it anyway). Some things you just do because they worked before, like the warm-up period, which was also something that could reliably recreate as a method that made a difference. Same with the power on order method.
The 'current' method that seems to be working for me is...
a) Power on/warm up the Tascam for a while
b) boot up PC, wait til Tascam firewire light comes/stays on
c) Open SoftLCD applet
d) Open my DAW sofware (Cubase) & my project.
NOTE; 'If' my Tascams FW light doesn't 'stay' on (it always comes on briefly if nothing else) after booting up PC, I will NOT open up Cubase yet! I've NEVER been able to get my Tascam working 'after' Cubase is already open! However, if my firewire light doesn't stay on after booting PC, I CAN shut off my Tascam, and then turn it 'back' on, while the PC is already on, and the firewire light will then stay on. THEN I'll boot up Cubase.
Regarding the "legacy firewire" option, though I DO use 'legacy', this is something that has not made any difference for me when I tried, whether I used legacy or not. I DO have a Texas Instruments chip on my current DAW PC, a Lenovo ThinkStation D-20, it's a built-in firwire port (no add-on card).
Regarding the Texas Instruments chip, this is something in my experience that has at least seemingly made a difference, but can only compare between 2 PC's... my older self-built Win XP DAW PC (no TI chip) which I couldn't get my Tascam to ever work reliably on them, and my Lenovo ThinkStation (has a TI) chip).
Bottom line, if I was to give advice to a new Tascam FW user, I'd say take all these suggestions that work for others seriously yes, but don't hold your breath they'll work every time forever. As for myself, I've had to change my methods.. which is very strange, and may actually indicate other things at play.

I'm using Win 7 64 bit Pro now, but if I do get a Win 10 PC in the future, I'll personally start with using the Win backwards compatibility mode, and make sure I have a TI chip in my firewire (just in case) before going any further. I may even use another Levovo ThinkStation with Win 10 since I've had a good experience with my Tascam FW-1884 & FW-1802.

Steve,
I think your "issues" are caused by a bad cap in what Tascam refers to as the
400 Mbps Phy signal lines:

SERVICE BULETIN #0606
TASCAM FW-1082/1804/1884 Low Temperature

To maintain safer FireWire communication even under lower temperature
environment, the material of smoothing capacitor for the 400 Mbps Phy
signal lines has been changed from Electrolysis to Ceramic.
The circuit number of the 1 uF/50 V capacitor on the Main PCB Assy and the
applicable serial number of the change by the models are as follows:
FW-1082: C112/113 from S/No. 0230001 and higher
FW-1804: C112/113 from S/No. 0160001 and higher
FW-1884: C57/58 from S/No. 0280001 and higher

The 1884 I have problems with is in the 027 range, I leave it on 24/7 these days.
It started out as an intermittent problem (low temp in the studio usually),
but got to point where I would have to leave it on for an hour or more to get
a connection, even when the studio was "warm".
Just like your "issues", things that once worked became "unreliable"!
I'm searching for replacement caps and will make a repair video sometime in the future.

T

Hello everybody!!!! I can´t seem to get audio from this interface in the monitors?? I downloaded the drivers, the legacy driver and the Tascam 1082 driver (1.80) and everything works in my DAW (Faders, scroll, buttons,...) but I can´t seem to get the sound going from the firewire!! I´m using Win 10!!! Thank you

HI TOM!!! IT DOESN´T REPORT ANYTHING!!! IT SHOWS THE TASCAM DRIVER BUT WHEN I CHOOSE IT CAN'T GET ANY SOUND
RIGHT NOW I´M JUST USING IT AS A CONTROL SURFACE AND MY FOCUSRIGHT INTERFACE TO GET SOUND BUT IT SHOULDN´T BE LIKE THAT
I´LL SEND A PIC OF MY CONTROL PANEL.>SOUND

PS IT[S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
hold on here. It IS working as a control surface?
That's a horse of a different color. The firewire
has to "lock" for it to work.
My email is my screen name at aol dot com
send me the picture.
You are not in the States?

tom

Tom... I sent you an email
Let me know if you recieve it and no.. not in the states
I´m in Uruguay :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.