FW-1082 won't connect in windows 10. Tried sugestions!

midiot

Gear owned
FW-1082
My PC is a recent Dell XP8700 with an i7. I bought the FW-1082 unit new some years back. I recently had it working in win 8.1, and it worked fine in 7 and xp before that.
I recently upgraded to win 1o (64bit) from a new clean install of 8.1 (64bit) on my Samsung 840Evo (500GB). I have the SSD partitioned in half. win 7pro (64bit) is on 1st part and working fine with the 1082.
The new W10 is on the 2nd partition. I first had the 1082 plugged in to my TI FW card and powered up. I noticed that the unit was recognized in the Devices section in windows. but no firewire lock yet, of course.

So here's what I've tried: (1)Shut down/disconnected the 1082. (2)Did the rollback of the TI firewire driver (for my TI FW card) to the windows legacy. (3)Launched the install of the 1.8 driver. But....I got the "can't install on this version of windows" message before the 1.8 driver finished installing or attempted to.
So after re trying this a few times I though I'd upgrade the Dell drivers for W10 through Dells website. I tried the 1082 install again with the same results.
The bios was a few versions old so I took the leap and had that reflash.....Again, no luck! Although after these updates, the soft LCD of the 1082 was installed (huh?)
I see others here met with success with their similar FW-1884's and in W7 and W8 with the 1082. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks

I've got a FW1804, so might be similar problems (based on same hardware?). I did finally get it working, needed to download legacy* FW drivers from Microsoft as these things are missing in W8 and W10. And then I had to edit the inf file as it referenced driver files with the wrong names...

Not sure if this is just an issue with the 64 bit Windows

*actually says '(Legacy)' after driver name

Last edited:
Thanks spookydirt! It's been a little while since I monkeyed with this, but I think I tried the same with the legacy driver. Have also checked out that link, thanks....But, I don't recall editing of the inf file...
Maybe that would have done it.
Anyway, since I was unable to get it working in Win10, I uninstalled 10 and went back to Win8.1.
And since then I still haven't got my system up! I recently posted my situation on the SoundonSound PC forum. My screen name is greatmag .Although my description is a bit jumbled ;) Basically I'm trying to set up a multi boot and multi partitions on one of the drives. I seem to have messed up the boot (BCD). Thanks!

Reactions: spookydirt

New threads

Members online