Genealogy: What is Tascam 44 vs TEAC A-3440 vs Tascam 44OB?

Hey as luck would have it I am the owner of another 44OB as of the last couple of days. I think I have three of them but one was a logging recorder but could be used for parts or a conversion as I have a new motor of regular speed here.

The debate I had was if the 44, with hanging heads, or the 44-OB, with chassis-mounted heads would be a better choice. It sounds like the OB has better motors and logic control, which may be easier on my 40-year-old tapes.

"Back in the day" at the small studio in which I was employed, we did work exclusively in-house and paid no attention to alignments except for the once a year machine alignment! (These days, that is hard to imagine!) Hence, I am most concerned about matching the old machine's alignment - particularly azimuth.

To make matters worse, some of the tapes are dbx encoded and I know that will magnify any misalignment anomalies. I found a 44 online for $300 that looks in good shape. Low headwear (based on the pics) and it will arrive today. Now to find a DX-4. Will a DX-4D work with a 44?

All opinions are welcomed! :)

The dBx unit that goes with the 44 is the DX-44 and I have the complete set next to me. The DX-4D will work if you have it modified to turn on all the time and is in fact a better choice due to better more stable circuits and the lack of those troublesome relays. The 44 has a Dc motor in it that will wear out but then gives you pitch control. The 40-4 did not have any pitch control unless it was converted like the 80-8 to a DC motor design.

The performance of the head mounting has more to do with who adjusted them than what kind of mount it is. The 44OB has Wolke heads which are much better than the standard Teac heads. Still the difference might only be seen on test equipment and wear characteristics

New threads

Staff online

Members online