Getting Digital Performer to work with DM4800

Jeff Kruizenga

From
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Gear owned
DM-4800 Digital Performer
I am having issues getting Digital Performer to fully link up with my new DM4800 asndwas wondering if I could get some assistance.
My set up is: DM4800 Version 1.70 (updater BL1-48)
Digital Performer version 5.1
Mac G5 O.S. 10.4.1
MOTU 2408 using the lightpipe connectors A,B & C and USB firewire (I think)
Lucid Gen-x 192 word clock

After a couple of frustrating weeks of fumbling around and learning the board, reading the manual and trying countless routings, I have finally gotten the transport to work and the meter bridge to show the time code (thanks to previous forum posts) but I still cannot get the faders to control anything within DP. I have talked extensively with the Tascam and MOTU reps trying to resolve this and other issues without success. They each tend to blame the other company's software as the culprit for the system not working.
Some of the oddities are that my tracks, coming into the 4800 from DP are scrambled, meaning they are not in the order they are being sent from DP even though I have the outputs set up as A 1-8, B 1-8 and C 1-8. For instance, I have drums on tracks 1-8, guitars on 9-13, vocals on 14 - 20 and keyboards on 21-24. When they come into the 4800 I have a bass on fader 1, nothing on 2, a vocal on 3, a drum on fader 4 and so on. I have checked and double checked the lightpipe connections and they are routed correctly into the back on the 4800. The ins and outs are correct, 1-8 going to the installed I/O's on the board, 9-16 going to the second card installed and so on.
Another quirk is that in DP all 24 channels on the audio monitor display a -24 db signal, indicating that I must have a closed loop feed back somewhere that I cannot find.
Any suggestions as to where I should start?
Are there any firmware updates I don't know about?

Hey @captdan and @Gravity Jim. I accidentally deleted the thread with your responses while moving and merging Jeff's duplicate posts on this topic. Sorry 'bout that.

Shhh Jim! Take the $2.99! :)

Reactions: captdan
I'm new to the DM4800 and am having trouble getting Digital Performer to work. My current issue I am trying to resolve is as follows. If I play a song I can hear tracks only 1-8, even though there is audio recorded on tracks 9 -24. Then about 30-40 seconds into the song I will get a white noise howl and several of the meters in the audio monitor of DP spike. If I stop the playback and mute tracks 9-24 on my Dig. Perf. mixer and hit play again I can listen to the remainder of the song without the howl - but only tracks 1-8. As I un-mute any of the tracks, 9-24, the howl comes back. No matter how I set up the routing I cannot find the audio coming in from tracks 9-24.
My current routing is:
On the INPUT TAB- I have tracks 1-24 set to mic/line 1-24 respectively. Tracks 25-32 at ADAT 1-8. Tracks 33-40 Slot-1, 1-8. Tracks 41-48 Slot 2, 1-8.
On the OUTPUT TAB- The Output Select pane is set to ADAT BUS 1-8/DIR 1-8
On the OUTPUT SLOT TAB- Slot 1 tracks 1-8 is set to BUS 9-16/Dir 9-16
Slot 2 tracks 1-8 is set to BUS 17-24/DIR 17-24

Any recommendations?

My gear is:
DM4800 ver. 1.70
Mac G-5 10.4.1 O.S.
Digital Performer 5.1
MOTU 2408 using the light pipe connections
MOTU 1224

New threads

Members online