Headphones

tanstaafl49

From
Macclesfield UK
Website
www.arthurmarshall.co.uk
Gear owned
DR24SD studio
Any advice on what headphones to use with the DP24SD?
I bought a pair of AudioTechnica phonesas they were supposed to have a very flat response, but all my recordings, which sound fine on the phones) wind up very bass heavy and I have to remaster them all. I'm no expert on headphones so all suggestions are welcome... preferably under a hundred quid!

Regardless of the headphones - your mixes should be checked on as many different playback systems as you can reasonably accomplish. Especially if you're using headphones as your primary "mixing" playback source.

I use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones. They're marketed as "monitor" headphones. They're also very popular.

I use them primarily for tracking when I'm wanting to get something really tight. I rarely use them for "mix reference".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Look in the index of the Production Tips sticky and you'll find the information you need.

You may also want to look in the Equipment Related sticky's index for information on selecting reference speakers, as the two subjects overlap.

Last edited:
Even if you have issues with the neighbors and are forced to mix with headphones, by all means, take a drive and listen to your mixes in the car!

Reactions: Mark Richards
If your mixes wind up very bass heavy - it means you have another way to tell, apart from your headphones. So, where do they wind up bass heavy, and is that a reliable listening environment?

Like the others say, it's good to check in different listening environments - but the longer you do this, you'll start to recognize your 'average' correct sound. To the extent that even with your current headphones you'll learn to cut down on bass, even if it then feels as not enough bass in them (this supposing your 'other' environment is more correct). Ofcourse, if you can find a pair of headphones that's already close to the sound you want, that's better..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.