Hello from Ann Arbor!

Doctrsnoop

Gear owned
DR-24SD
My kids are great clarinet players in a great program at Ann Arbor Pioneer High School.

Last October the Halloween concert video was truly awful. Could barely tell there were people, sound was terrible

I really didn't know much about it , but I volunteered to do the Christmas concert because I couldn't take another awful video. Well that went much better. I had 3 so-so cameras going and had okay sound. Went from iMovie to Final Cut Pro over a 4 day period.

Okay, so now I have some idea about video. Did more research, got better cameras, better audio. In March better still.

By May I had graduated to AT2020 XLR mics and a separate TASCAM DR-40 recorder on suggestion of a friend of mine in the Advertising industry. Holy crap what an improvement.

Then wanted more control. Bought a DP-008ex. Mistake. Not really what I wanted but I suppose would work as a recorder , but not really made for that.

Fast forward to last month. Let's check out mixers for the next time, maybe get a better idea about levels. Started with a Pyle PMX-U88BT running into the TASCAM. Figured it out. Ooh, nice, I could see doing that. Perfect. I'll stop now.

Fast forward to this week. Was looking at Mixer/Recorders. Looked at the DP-24SD. Perfect. Except 500 bucks a little silly for me. But then I found a great condition one for 200 bucks. Oh heck I'll get it. Started watching the youtube videos. Phil is great, though could probably re-shoot in higher definition. I still thought I'd struggle with the Mixdown and Master but really I figured out all the basics this afternoon in about an hour. Pretty excited to try it out!

Reactions: dctdct
Welcome this forum and congrats to your progress!
Re DP-008EX: It is indeed a portable 2channel 8tracks recorder, so more a little cousin of the DP-24/32 than completely different device.
I use it still exactly for this: portability and good integrated mics.

Reactions: Doctrsnoop
Great story, and welcome.
Sorry about the lo-def vids but I didn't own even one hi-def camera, let alone 2 or 3 for the multiple angles, and my trusty Win XP computer would have ground to a halt trying to process such large files. That's my excuse anyway - it was done on a whim with no funding... and was only going to be a couple of vids after all :)
Good luck to you and the kids; that school sounds a great place if Wiki is to be believed. Iggy Pop and the first to have a planetarium, no less!

Reactions: Doctrsnoop

New threads

Members online

No members online now.