Help for a newbie?

Matt Richter

From
Woodside, CA
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Gear owned
DR-44WL
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of sound recording, multi-track music creation and the like. I'm looking for some help.

First off, I'm a physicist, so the nature of sound is in my wheelhouse. That said, there's a huge gulf between wave dynamics and multi-track recording.

here's the situation I'm in. My daughter is a very good self-taught guitar player. She's almost 16 and has been at it for 8 years or so. Anyway, she and her significant other have formed a duo. The SO has an AMAZING voice, my daughter does guitar and harmonies. They are just at the point where they are practicing covers together, and starting to reach out to local people who perform up here in the hills. (I live in the SF bay area, up in the hills above Woodside near Alice's Restaurant, if you know the area).

Anyway, their first "gig" is going to be playing 4-5 songs to open for an "artist in residence" at the Little Store named Bundy Brown. They'll be able to use the sound gear that Bundy will have set up for his normal schtick.

Here's my ask..... How do I go about helping her get the hardware she needs to both perform and record? This is a new world. When I did my own research on a portable recorder, I ended up with the DR-44WL. If you've read my posts on it, I like the HW but hate the supporting SW. Since I don't think I hit it out of the park with my own research, I figured I'd ask those who have already walked this path for guidance.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Matt

How do I go about helping her get the hardware she needs to both perform and record?

Hi Matt.

You might want to check in here at the Model 24/16/12 forum, since those machines are designed for both "live" performing/recording and for home recording. Several posters there are musicians experienced with performing and recording. You'll also find sticky threads describing the Models, their uses, videos, etc.

Going outside the forum, there are several brick and morter pro-audio shops that sell on the web. They employ experienced and knowledgable staff that can help you choose the best equipment in your price range. Full Compass, Sweetwater, Crutchfield Pro Audio, and Westlake Pro Audio are some I've dealt with personally by phone and email over the years (no affiliations).

As you're in San Francisco, I'm sure there are several reputable pro audio and music stores to check out too. Recommendations from local musicians can help with that.

Hope this may be helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, yes, very helpful. I'm starting to gather information now. I'll definitely reach out to the local brick and mortar. I'll also ping the people that are giving my daughter the chance to do a couple songs at thier gigs.

I get that this can be both complex and expensive. I'll start with lots of info before I break out the credit cards!

Thank you,

Matt

Reactions: Mark Richards
Gday Matt, I think my home rehearsal setup might suit your situation.

Get a little 4 channel mixer, under $80. You can run a vocal mic into one channel, a guitar mic into another, or if it has a pickup,plug it straight in. You can even plug in a backing track. Then you can run the stereo outputs into something like a Tascam DR40. That's how I write basslines for my 3 originals bands.

The quality of this little Tascam is pro quality 24 bit blah blah.....

New threads

Members online

No members online now.