HELP I accidentally recorded over a very important song

oscart

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
Hello!

Just had a major screw up. Yesterday I accidentally recorded over a crucially important file in my Tascam Model 12. Did some googling around but i am still struggling to figure out how to recover the old recordings. When i load up the project in the Tascam, the "undo" option is not visible

In the manual it states that as soon as you re-load the project file, the undo files will be deleted, but when i used a disc recovery program to check the SD card, i was able to see a number of files named sequentially, along with the newly recorded tracks, like:

undoTr1_1.bin
undoTr2_1.bin
undoTr3_1.bin
undoTr4_1.bin
undoTr5_1.bin
undoTr6_1.bin
undoTr7_1.bin
undoTr8_1.bin
undoTr9_1.bin
undoTr10_1.bin
undoTr11_1.bin
undoTr12_1.bin

They have the right file sizes, so i am hopeful there is a way to get the Tascam to see the undo files or somehow to manually revert the state?

Any help / advice would be massively appreciated

Last edited:
Hi there... I downloaded the bin-file and extracted it with some zip-rar-bin file opener I have on another computer. But when I opened it it was only some kind of "hexa-file" I do NOT understand at all. But ALL I could see inside there was about 10-15 characters that showed any difference from the other numbers there... and to me does NOT seems to be more than the "MINIMAL" "changed information" from the original file. A total mystery to me! Sorry I couldn't help more.:(

Sorry to be so long in responding. I did the same thing you did (recorded over an existing .wav file). Thankfully, the TASCAM Model 12 writes the overwritten part of the .wav file to a .bin file (the temporary file you mentioned). All you have to do is change the extension from .bin to .wav and you get the part you overwrote. You will still need to append the non-overwritten part of the .wav file, but you can do that in Audition or some other audio editor.

Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
Tried to rename the extension but it doesn’t work.. any ideas?

New threads

Members online