Hooking an iPad to DP24SD

Kirk Smith

From
North Liberty Iowa
Gear owned
DP24SD
Just received my new DP24sd, quite the learning curve for me.
Anyway, could someone help me if it’s possible to hook up my iPad Pro ( older model) to the board and play the audio say from iTunes . I can plug into my monitors and that’s fine but is there a way to use the RCA hookups to a pin Jack to my iPad or I do have the trs chords from the board into the monitor speakers.
I guess what I am wondering is if I can use the eq and sliders or whatever else works to control the iPads output using iTunes? Thanks so much for any help

To be clear, you want to:
  • Take audio signal OUT from your iPad Pro;
  • Bring that audio signal IN to your DP-24SD;
  • Take audio signal OUT from your DP-24SD;
  • Bring the DP-24SD audio signal IN to your monitor speakers.
To do that:
  • You need a cable going from your iPad Pro that has the approprite iPad Pro connector on one end and two 1/4 inch phone plugs on the other end;
  • To use the DP-24SD Monitor Out jacks, you need two cables with 1/4 inch phone plugs on one end and the appropriate plugs on the other end that match the L/R Inputs of your monitor speakers.
  • To use the DP-24SD Stereo Out jacks, you need two cables with RCA plugs on one end and the appropriate plugs on the other end that match the L/R Inputs of your monitor speakers .
The cable from the iPad is connected to two DP-24SD Inputs; the relevant Input Trim Knobs are set full left to the "Line" position; and the iPad Pro volume control manages the incoming signal level.

From that point on, the incoming signal can be managed and processed in the same way as any other signal coming in from an external source. The easiest setup on the DP-24SD is to Assign the two Inputs directly to the Stereo Bus and use the Mixer screen to set the Input Pan, EQ, and Levels. Phil Tipping's video tutorials in the sticky section demonstrate how to set that up.

Be sure that all the equipment is OFF when making the cable connections; be sure to follow the proper procedure for setting the signal chain audio volume (called Gain Staging); and be sure to follow the proper sequence for turning the gear on.

Last edited:
no need to stress

follow Marks instructions step by step and you'll get there :)

To be clear, you want to:
  • Take audio signal OUT from your iPad Pro;
  • Bring that audio signal IN to your DP-24SD;
  • Take audio signal OUT from your DP-24SD;
  • Bring the DP-24SD audio signal IN to your monitor speakers.
To do that:
  • You need a cable going from your iPad Pro that has the approprite iPad Pro connector on one end and two 1/4 inch phone plugs on the other end;
  • To use the DP-24SD Monitor Out jacks, you need two cables with 1/4 inch phone plugs on one end and the appropriate plugs on the other end that match the L/R Inputs of your monitor speakers.
  • To use the DP-24SD Stereo Out jacks, you need two cables with RCA plugs on one end and the appropriate plugs on the other end that match the L/R Inputs of your monitor speakers .
The cable from the iPad is connected to two DP-24SD Inputs; the relevant Input Trim Knobs are set full left to the "Line" position; and the iPad Pro volume control manages the incoming signal level.

From that point on, the incoming signal can be managed and processed in the same way as any other signal coming in from an external source. The easiest setup on the DP-24SD is to Assign the two Inputs directly to the Stereo Bus and use the Mixer screen to set the Input Pan, EQ, and Levels. Phil Tipping's video tutorials in the sticky section demonstrate how to set that up.

Be sure that all the equipment is OFF when making the cable connections; be sure to follow the proper procedure for setting the signal chain audio volume (called Gain Staging); and be sure to follow the proper sequence for turning the gear on.

Mark,
I got things hooked up with the right cables but I’m lost on the steps and the terms as this is new to me. I cannot seem to figure out the stereo track and assigning inputs. I tried looking for Phil’s video on this very thing but could not find it. Kind of frustrated but hopefully little by little I will learn one step at a time.
Thank you

Reactions: Mark Richards
Kirk, you're going to be using your portastudio as a basic mixer.
Phil's videos 3A and 3B should get you going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Mark,
If I understand your 3rd bullet point

• So I need RCA cables that have the same plugs on both ends. One side goes into tascam stereo outs ( red and white)and the other end go into my Stereo inputs on my monitors correct ( red and white). So if I want to hook my iPad to the board I will need an appropriate chord from the iPad headphone Jack with a split 1/4” two plug to go into two inputs on the tascam. I hope that makes sense.
  • If that is right then how do I set the mixer to allow the signal path to go through?
  • Or is there an easier way from your other bullet points? Sorry I am so dense on this stuff but just want to get things up and running.

• to be truthful I am having a hard time following Phil’s videos, I think he is talking to someone who has had some prior knowledge of the terms he uses, he looses me.

...how do I set the mixer to allow the signal path to go through?

The easiest setup on the DP-24SD is to Assign the two Inputs directly to the Stereo Bus and use the Mixer screen to set the Input Pan, EQ, and Levels.

The Owner Manual, Chapter 6 - Basic Recording covers the primary functions of the portastudio. The Chapter 6 Index at the front of the manual will point you specifically to the Input ASSIGN process, and
  • Phil's video 3A demonstrates using Input EQ, at 11:30 into the video.
  • Phil's video 3A demonstrates using Input ASSIGN at 13:36 into the video.
  • Phil's video 3A demonstrates using Input LEVEL at 17:20 into the video, (and in 3B, at 1:10).
  • Phil's video 3A demonstrates using Input PAN at 18:25 into the video.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online