John Flynn

Veteran
From
Shankill, Dublin Ireland
Website
www.jmrrecordingstudios.com
Gear owned
Tascam DM4800 IF-FW
I’m using a Tascam DM4800 with PTHD11 into an Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 for many many years with no issues thankfully. My computer is speced to the max and the Tascam has the meter bridge, computer card and 3 analogue cards but whatever way I look at it the system is old. The OS is Mavericks and I haven’t updated because everything works as is without issues. How long realistically can this system last though. The desk and computer are at least 13 years old and when the system does die what could one replace the lot with?

On audio consoles, the things that usually go bad are power supplies and electrolytic capacitors. Unless you do something damaging like static discharge you should be able to keep that thing running for several decades or more. There are many vintage consoles out there. I personally have a Soundcraft Ghost from 1995 that is just as reliable today as it was when it was new.

I always saw the DM4800 as basically more of a large computer in the shape of a desk than a console like an old analogue one so if you are correct this is great news. I worry that in the event of a breakdown that parts couldn’t be found or that a technician would have little interest in fixing it due to its age.
If I update the computer the old FireWire connection might be hard to connect and of course modern is systems might not work eity the old driver

In some studios where I worked, the vintage gear was never powered off. Power cycles kill.

I worry that in the event of a breakdown that parts couldn’t be found or that a technician would have little interest in fixing it due to its age.
If I update the computer the old FireWire connection might be hard to connect and of course modern is systems might not work eity the old driver
Yes, it's possible that you'd be hard pressed to find someone to repair the board, though the components that are most likely to fail over time should be easy enough to find (like mjk said).

As for updating the computer you should first ask yourself why you want that. I could think of reasons (using newer plugins, update the DAW to a more current version with new features, etc.) but if the system does what you need, why change? On the other hand - I have a 10 year old PC running the current Windows 10, current Cubase and also current Wavelab software. And another member on the forum also just recently built a brand new PC that works great with the DM.

If the balance goes to an upgrade of the computer though, I'd seriously consider going to Windows, which is much more future proof than Mac. For example, I have still hardware connected and functioning that is close to 20 years old: with Apple you might be lucky to have 5-year old hardware still functional.

I’ve always used Mac for recording and I suppose I’m used to it though I can use windows machines. I own two modern Dell PC’s for other jobs and they are great.
The Presonus Studio live series are probably the nearest thing to a Tascam being made today and are at a reasonable price point. stull wouldn’t change my Tascam and old computer unless I had no other option. The new Mac Pro’s are certainly out of my price range but I suppose an iMac or high specked Mac mini might be an option for the computer. Would probably need to upgrade PT as well if I had to go that way

Reactions: -mjk-
Well I can tell you I have looked and looked for what might be life after my DM. But for the money it's hard to beat. I even started a thread.. I did solve my problems and fears of a failed board. I just bought a second board. Good prices are out there. Get your second now, well worth it for peace of mind.

@Flynn...Yes! A SECOND DM. If you look at the prices you can get some pretty good deals. I got one with a bad screen and one dead pot for a couple hundred bucks. Now I have a nice inventory of parts. (Except for the screen of course which is a whole other thread)

The Behringer WING is a stereo console of the latest generation. There is also a 3rd party automation system for it.

The Behringer WING is a stereo console of the latest generation. There is also a 3rd party automation system for it.
So Yes, the wing is a great unit and has a lot of new impressive features. I've done a considerable review of this unit, and the price, ($3500 list) for the capabilities doesn't match even the DM3200. The biggest is only 8 analog inputs. You can add more with outboard gear but that adds cost. It's limit is 48kHz, which is not a big deal for most but again the DM is more flexible here with 16 analog ins at UP TO 96kHz. For a personal or project studio it hits the mark. However, for the cost of a DM, I still see the DM as a win.

The studio live 645 by Presonus might be a possible replacement?
Yes, 64S is an awesome unit and a possible replacement. $4500 though. Lots of I/O and scene options. (Only 48kHz tho, but not a big issue for most)

However, I could buy another 2 backup DMs to last me another 20 years and still have money left over. :)

I can see your point re a second DM but it’s a HUGE desk. I wouldn’t have anywhere to keep an item that big tbh. The screen replacement is simple. There’s a guy in the UK selling LCD versions. I have one in my DM and it’s great.
Do you have the link for that LCD Replacement? Or is it in another thread maybe?

Just a note about the Presonus 64S.
A while back, I tried to replace my DM4800 with a 64S that a friend was selling.
It was a cool board in many ways, but not good for my workflow.
One major drawback was the inability to select a channel by touching the fader.
Also realized that it had less I/O than the DM. Very convoluted connection to DAW... Not as advertised.
Long learning curve, but I was so happy to re-install my old 4800!
I missed some of the features of the P64S, but it was well worth the trade-off.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.