How to clean the inside of the display lens - DR-40

samantha

Gear owned
dr40
After using the DR-40 in the car for dictation for a year or two, the display is becoming difficult to see because of dust particles or perhaps a film of dirt on the inside of the display lens. The appearance is that of dust particles held in place by a static electric charge; if so, they could be removed by a jet of air. But if it is a dirty film, then cleaning with detergent and water is needed.

The DR-40 has not been abused; it stays always in the front seat, and the air-conditioner always is running; never is there visible airborne dust inside the car. It simply is a matter that the environment inside an automobile is not nearly as clean as is the environment inside a home or office.

Can someone supply me with instructions for opening the unit? or with an exploded view of the case which shows how everything fits together? Or is it possible to remove the display lens without opening the case?

I just opened mine up this evening to try to find information about the hardware. there was a catch on the side where the USB port is, and I feared to damage it if i tried more force.

BUT i think without much fuss I could have cleaned the screen if i had wanted to with a blast of compressed air or two. It wasn't hard to open the shell.

Phillips Head screwdriver, small one, i dunno exact side (I used a flathead)
Small flathead screwdriver to help pry the side open

the screws you need are exposed in the back, nine of them. 7 on the outside, 2 inside the battery case. I would recommend putting the unit on paper while you unscrew them to prevent scratches on the screen.

the screws were difficult to get out at first because of a lack of leverage. I ended up taking needlenose pliers and using them to firmly grip and 'break' the seal the screws had.

I put the screwdriver in, made sure it had a grip, clenched with the pliers, and firmly, but carefully, turned the unit slightly while turning the pliers (the unit gave leverage). once i heard the slight 'crack' sound as the screw gave, i moved to the next.

be careful not to drop the pliers on the unit ^_^

after they're all loosened, then set the pliers aside and start taking them out. I didn't do it like this, and it was annoying setting the pliers down repeatedly ; p

the most challenging part was the screw under the battery spring, which wasn't really that hard, just awkward to get out. ALSO, this one may be optional to remove. just loosen it well, since you won't be opening the shell all the way.
but if you deicide to remove it...
getting it in I used the pliers to place it back in the hole. be careful, it will be easy to drop inside. if you've never done this sort of thing before, I've found the easiest way is to cup your hand over the area, then in one quick movement turn the unit over along with your hand. drops right in. make sure you take out the other screws first.

(speaking of which, don't forget to keep track. I like to place them neatly in the formation they were in originally. like so:

. . <--top two, smaller, silver
. . <--next two, slightly closer, long black fellows

. . <---inside the battery case, silver, lil thicker, one on the left hides under a spring

. . <---two silver, thin
. <--bottom, silver, looked the same as the two right above it
(yeah...it's formatted nicer in my edit. too bad it shows it all weird in the actual post)
IMG_6463.JPG
so when I look down I can just follow it like a map. I took pictures, too ; p in case something unexpected happened.

the screws in the front don't matter. there are no screws under the little foam pads, so yay!.

once you get the 9 back screws out, you can pry the side open where input level and all that is. use the flathead (make sure it's not too big and not too small...so you won't damage the plastic. cosmetic, but I love my recorder!) the USB side has a catch so I'd just ignore it since you don't care.

after this, spray away, you'll find you have pretty good access to the innards. please don't turn the can upside down and spray the freezing funk all over the inside. I can't guarantee this will fix it, but unless you try to clean it on a workbench in a woodworker's shop on the beach during a sandstorm it shouldn't be a big deal (though some people would faint at the idea of spraying it out oh NO the horror)

also, there's some metal pins in the battery case, little bent spring looking things (you'll know them when you see them, wait nm i'll upload pics...see the one in the middle?). i found the center one wiggled to the side, and the case did not want to close. I used the screwdriver to gently push it straight, and it went together no problem.
IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG

if anyone does this, goes all the way, and tears open the unit like a BEAST could you please take pics of the chips and all that for me? or anyone else, really...getting information on this guy is pretty rough ; p

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.