How to Master and export mixed song from 2488

rschubring

Gear owned
Tascam 2488
I've spent countless hours and have read a lot of threads but cannot find a way to export a mastered final song from the 2488 via USB. I know how to export tracks. How do I export a final mix to USB instead of to the CD-R?

I don't own a 2488, but isn't information on exporting master tracks in your owner manual section that explains how to Import & Export?

That's section 10 in the 2488 Neo OM on line at the TASCAM support site:
Exporting Master Tracks
You can export one or more master tracks to a computer. The master tracks must all reside on the same TASCAM partition. Master tracks are converted to stereo WAV files, and sent to the FAT partition, from where they can be copied to the computer. Regardless of the master track bit depth, the exported stereo WAV file is 16-bit.

The 2488 Neo manual lists 9 steps to accomplish the export.

Last edited:
Thanks. The instructions you show are for exporting individual tracks to USB, not the mastered final.

I've read the owners manual ad nauseam. It clearly explains how to export a master to CD-R and it clearly explains how to export tracks to USB. I find nothing, anywhere, about exporting a master to USB. It's as if it's a feature that doesn't exist on the 2488.

Hmmm. What version 2488 do you own? If the first version of the 2488 doesn't convert/export the proprietary master track to a stereo WAV file, that's very unfortunate.

I don't have a viable solution other than burn the master to a CD and then rip the CD.

==============================================

UPDATE: For those who may come upon this thread in the future.
The original 2488 does not export the proprietary master track to a master stereo WAV file for transfer to a computer.

The 2488MKII and the 2488Neo will export the proprietary master track that was created during mixdown by converting the proprietary master track to a master stereo WAV file that can be exported via USB to a computer .

Each Song Master in the MKII & Neo consists of a proprietary master track. The Export to computer function converts a proprietary master into a master stereo WAV file. The Export function permits simultaneous selection of several songs' master tracks for export as individual master stereo WAV files.

This is the 2488 MKII & Neo instructions for exporting a master file to computer
Mixdown is conducted after the recording of all tracks is completed. In mixdown, all the tracks are merged into a stereo signal as their volumes are balanced. The work of finishing a track by writing that mixdown signal to a master recorder is called “mastering".

Exporting master tracks
You can export one or more master tracks to a computer. The master tracks must all reside on the same TASCAM partition. Master tracks are converted to stereo WAV files, and sent to the FAT partition, from where they can be copied to the computer. Regardless of the master track bit depth, the exported stereo WAV file is 16-bit.

Use the JOG/DATA dial (or cursor keys) to select a master track for export and press the INSERT key to put a check mark by the master track. You can convert many master tracks into stereo WAV files and send them to the FAT partition at the same time by checking all the master tracks that you want to export.

Use the computer to copy the WAV file(s) from the 2488 MKII/2488Neo to the computer. Disconnect the 2488 MKII/2488Neo and the computer (see “Closing the USB connection”).

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the info! That content is not in my manual. I have the original 2488. Not a Neo or MKII. Still not sure I can do what's written above because the only option I have for mixing down is to CD-R but I'll dig a little deeper.

My cd drive broke on my 2488. I ran the stereo outs to a CD player that could burn. I mastered then ran the mastered track into the external CD player.

There's a described trick in Double's Home Guide.

Exporting a “wav. File” of a pre mastered song via USB
How to: copy the premaster back to two blank virtual tracks. Then export it as two mono wav files.
Step by Step
1. Pull up the track editing menu with the TRACK EDIT button.
2. Go to CLONE on the menu. It will give you a choice of what tracks to clone and you will need to
choose the MASTER TRACKS.
Note: Be sure not to clone to a track with data in it since it will get over written

New threads

Members online