How to Overdub on Model 12

Floydone

Gear owned
Model 12
I am very new to using the Model 12 and I would like to overdub some sounds on existing recorded tracks. The Tascam website says the the Model 12 can overdub as well as bounch track and Punch in and Out. I can not find anywhere in their documentation or web site how to OverDub. Can someone here please either send me a link or step by step instructions. I would greatl appreciate any help.Thank you in advance.
Floyd

It sounds like you want to merge recorded and new sounds onto the same track. I don't think this is possible. I'm not so familiar with what auxes and subs the model 12 has, but I think you would need to send the old and new sounds to an aux and record that onto a new track.

overdub some sounds on existing recorded tracks. The Tascam website says the the Model 12 can overdub as well as bounch track and Punch in and Out. I can not find anywhere in their documentation or web site how to OverDub.
As the 12/16/24 are professional level FOH mixers, TASCAM assumes (far too much so in my opinion) a certain level of knowledge in the use of this kind of gear; and their owner manuals reflect that, unfortunately.

I don't own one of these Front Of House live mixers, so can't help directly, but:
  • Have you searched the shaded sticky section "Tips & Tricks" thread for any posts about overdubbing, etc?
  • Have you searched the shaded sticky section "Video Tutorials" thread for any posts on overdubbing,etc.?
  • Have you searched the sticky section "User Videos" thread for any posts that involve overdubbing, etc.?
  • Have you searched the 12/16/24 general forum on the terms "overdub", "bounce", "punch"?
To your specific question, unless you articulate clearly what you're trying to accomplish there's no way to get you pointed in the right direction, as the process differs according to the desired outcome. "Overdubbing" could involve
  • "sound-on-sound" (also known as "superimposition"): combining a pre-recorded track with "live" new material onto a new empty track; or
  • Recording new material on a new empty track.
"Bouncing" combines two or more different pre-recorded tracks onto a new empty track.

"Punching" involves re-recording (replacing) the same material over a portion of a pre-recorded track in the same place on that track; or recording new material on an empty portion of that track.

A google search will turn up numerous reliable professional gear dealer web sites that have informative tutorials and articles about each of these techniques and how in general to apply them. Amazon also carries some very good "beginner" books on home and project recording.

General questions on/discussions of the above techniques (that are not specific to the 12/16/24) should be asked in the "Recording 101" forum of this website (found in the "Rock and Roll" section).

Last edited:
Mark, I will take a look at the areas you suggested.

Well I did more research and Tascam’s use of the word Overdub is a bit misleading but I found the solution I was looking for. This is from a site called SoundonSound.com

“But an easier approach than unplugging/replugging your mic or instrument cable, and which avoids having to tweak the different channel settings for consistency, is to use the new menu option to move recordings from any one track to any other. It’s the work of mere seconds once you get into the habit: record, move the take, then record again. And while you can’t overdub on the same track, you can at least punch in and out one or more tracks, either automatically at a section you’ve defined in advance, or on the fly using a footswitch”

The Menu Function is under Menu/MTR/Track Edit/Track Swap. Here you can take your recorded Track (s) and move them to other track locations. This is how it worked for me…
I recorded my DrumBrute Impact tracks on Channels (Tracks) 7 & 8 and one Lead Synth Track on Channel 6. I wanted to add another same Synth Lead to my first one, sort of overlapping and not wanting to change any of my mixer settings. So I Swapped my Lead Synth. Track from 6 to Channel (Track) 1. Now I set Channel 1 to MTR Mode and the Synth Lead was there freeing up Channel 6 to record over again and I could add another Synth Lead.

Hope this makes sense to everyone.

...wanted to add another same Synth Lead to my first one, sort of overlapping and not wanting to change any of my mixer settings...
This is why it's always best for members to be as specific as possible up front about what they're trying to accomplish. The solution you needed was right here all along, and I could have pointed you there initially. ;)

Using the Model 12 "track swap" feature can be found in the "Tips & Tricks" sticky thread post #3 and post #4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Floydone

Members online

No members online now.